Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #120: Popular Baby Names

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Cache and run very useful with this one!

Spoiler
2019-03-15_11-43-24.png
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar
Spoiler
2019-03-16 14_57_36-Alteryx Designer x64 - challenge_120_start_file CM.yxmd.png
Verakso
11 - Bolide

Here is my solution to this weekly challenge, that was sweet and fun.

After I solved it, I looked at some of the others, and I can see, that I have done it completely different from the majority.

All though the solution does ad up with the result, I have began wonder if this approach is feasible at all.

It might be that the answer is correct, but that could just be at lucky punch on how these data is delivered.

On the other hand, one of the beauties of Alteryx is, that there is not just one way of doing things.

Spoiler
So I started out by a simple Text to Columns parse for the names, gender and frequency,
Then used RegEx to parse out the Year from the filename.
The two Cross Tabs for Year and Names, where I take the first name, and then one for Year and Frequency.
Then the two Cross Tabs are Joined on Year, and formatted to math the Output
2019-03-19 09_17_56-Alteryx Designer x64 - challenge_120_solution_verakso.yxmd.png

Still Climbing

/Thomas

johnemery
11 - Bolide

Thanks for posting the challenge. My solution mirrors that of many others' here.

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
GemmaM
7 - Meteor

My solution!

Spoiler
2019-04-03 11_18_22-Window.png
BradWerner
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
It is cool to see the ways that people were able to solve this more efficiently. Also, this was my first opportunity to use RegEx!

120_BW.PNG
JonathanAllenby
8 - Asteroid

Here's my solution to challenge 120.

hbraunius
8 - Asteroid

My solution attached.

Dominik2806
8 - Asteroid

Beginner Challenge. Quite nice to start with...

AidanBramel
8 - Asteroid

:)

Spoiler
challenge 120.PNG