Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #120: Popular Baby Names

JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

My solution :)

Spoiler
challenge_120.PNG
CobusVenter
7 - Meteor

Hi.

Here is my solution.

kmania
6 - Meteoroid

My solution

hollyhinson
7 - Meteor

seven
12 - Quasar

Hi all,

my solution has a slight departure from many I have seen. It addresses some of the flaws and assumptions I have seen in the solutions supplied.

1. Filter on gender = "F". What if the gender is "f"? The filter should use an upper function.

2. The sample tool does not find the max. Some people used the sort tool which works. I saw a few solutions that omitted the sort tool mistakenly.

3. Using a sort and sample combo is not intuitive. The summarize tool has an explicit max function and using an inner join seems to be clearer.

Finally, I have not seen any QA done on the solutions. Are people just spot checking the results? If anyone is actually checking the results completely by hand then this misses the whole point of Alteryx. I added a join to do a simple check of the expected vs actual.

120.PNG

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This was a great challenge. So many different and creative ways to approach it. Here's my solution:

CRowlatt
8 - Asteroid

papalow
8 - Asteroid

Nice challenge.

Eleonora
8 - Asteroid

My solution

Spoiler
Spoiler
ALteryx challenge Names.JPG
hanykowska