Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #12: Creating an HR Hierarchy

kbwissi
8 - Asteroid

This one was more difficult for me. Although I understand the logic behind it, I have never created a macro, or iterative macro before. This was very helpful!

JustinBabbitt
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks!

Justin Babbitt
Caveman88
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
Challenge 12 solved.PNG

Solved!

MarMu
8 - Asteroid

Very nice challenge. Definitely a tough nut to crack and had to read up on iterative macros. My first practical application of this highly specialized macros type.

well done.

Spoiler
challenge_12_start_file_MarMu.png
kat
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
Always need to think twice when it come to iterative macros! Looking at the solution that union was unnecessary, but somehow mine wasn't working before - probably where I placed my hierarchy formula.
Challenge #12 - macro.PNGChallenge #12.PNG
tammybrown_tds
8 - Asteroid

Full disclosure....I had to look at others' solutions to get this macro to work right.  So I used it as a self-learning exercise.  The next macro challenge, I will try to do on my own!

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Wow, that hurt my brain.

I definitely need to brush up more on iterative macros as I struggled with this one (keep forgetting about the interface designer).

Spoiler
I eventually got there:

Macro.PNG

Basically, I split the data into two streams, which essentially joins the element to it's parent, with the iteration allowing for multiple levels, rather than creating a join in a join in a join and so on, as I would have had to do back in my Crystal Reports days (*shudder...flashbacks...breathe...*).

The iteration is the nice bit (once you REMEMBER TO DO THE SETTINGS IN THE INTERFACE DESIGNER WINDOW)

I then simply embedded the macro, sorted the records on the output and Robert's your father's brother.

Workflow.PNG

results.PNG

M.

Bulien

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

this one took a bit of trial and error. I need to practice my iterative macros....

Spoiler
challenge 12.PNGchallenge 12 macro.PNG
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Another challenge that involved lots of trial and error.  It once only once I realised that CEO was not in the output list that I came up with a solution

Spoiler
The solution involved returning all the lower employees at each iterations as opposed to returning the topmost one.

MacroMain

Dan