Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #12: Creating an HR Hierarchy

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
I just did a simple iterative macro
Capture.PNG
MaxGiegerich
8 - Asteroid

I'm aware we were supposed to use an iterative macro here (and I will do shortly for the practice!) but I feel the following solution works just as well and is simpler. I got used the Append Fields tool to get do a cross join then used some very basic logic to massage the data into the right format. One issue was the analyst's man_id is 2 but the manager's is 1. I'd assumed these have to be in order of seniority so this is a bug in the input data. Obviously this could be corrected manually but I haven't here (as surely that defeats the purpose).

*My mistake... man_id is clearly the ID of their manager, not the 'paygrade' or 'level' of seniority. There's probably a way of working this out using the cross join method but I'm going to go with the iterative method as it's more interesting and efficient (I'd imagine!) anyway. 

siddhartha_s
7 - Meteor

the suggested visuals can also be obtained in NodeXL an addin for network graph... Trying to get it all in Alteryx. Thanks for your response.

JoshKushner
12 - Quasar

What a great bridge table! Wrote an iterative macro to handle the hierarchy.

Spoiler
Bridge Macro:
bridge.PNG

dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Quite some trial and error to get my mind around the iterative macro and only because @Phil_L57 was around...Not sure I still get it... but it works

samN
10 - Fireball

Well i feel whooped. Probably not the sanest way to introduce oneself to iterative macros...

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Learned a lot about iterative macros in last year's Santalytics!  This one was fun!.

LandonG
8 - Asteroid

It took a long time for this one to "click".

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Solution attached.

Spoiler
This is the worlkflowThis is my iterative macro
jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Solution attached. A very good test on iterative macro.