Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #12: Creating an HR Hierarchy

soha-elghany
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
spoiler
1200px-Starbucks_Corporation_Logo_2011.svg.png

this challenge defo taught me more about iterative macros

soha-elghany
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
spoiler
1200px-Starbucks_Corporation_Logo_2011.svg.png

this challenge defo taught me more about iterative macros

NilsM
8 - Asteroid

my solution

Spoiler
Macro_CH_12.PNGWF_CH_12.PNG
EricWe
Alteryx
Alteryx

I reviewed the recorded live training sessions on this topic. They are great for someone who is new to iterative macros like me.

Build Your First Iterative Macro
Santa's First Iterative Macro

I was only able to configure a non-macro solution without reviewing the one provided. After running the macro from the challenge solution with the maximum set at 2 iterations, I could see how it was working before completion, and it made sense.

bkclaw113
9 - Comet

This one made me think for a bit, love the power of the iterative macro's and these exercises are great way to cement them into my mindset so I see them as solutions to day to day problems as well.

DiegoParker
10 - Fireball

I started doing many joins, after a while I finally decided to give up and learn more about building the macro. Had to look at the solution for guidance but was a great learning experience. Thanks!

pfredin
7 - Meteor

Here is my solution.

But I didn't a macro. I hope it's nevertheless acceptable.

TimothyManning
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
12. Macros.PNG

I found this really hard and had to look at the solution unfortunately, really good learning exercise though!

Awesomeville
7 - Meteor

With great reference to the solution. Which allows me to learn how to utilize macro on Alteryx and the things people might miss out when using it.

Amazing Challenge #12.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

So, I always struggle with Iterative macros as I build them so infrequently. I had to come back to this one a few times before it clicked. As always, I'm always left thinking "that was easy, why did I struggle with that?" but with iterative macros, it's easy once I've wrapped my little brain around it...

Spoiler
Anyway, built the macro with the input feeding into both the data and the iteration input, both streams joining in a stepped fashion using ID to Man_ID, then it's simply a case of iterating through the steps, so the number of levels in the hierarchy can change and the macro will change accordingly.

Macro.PNG

Importantly, with all macros there are a few steps you need to take outside of the basic canvas functionality, and that is in the workflow settings themselves, and the one I always forget and stump myself, the interface designer.
First, in the canvas, go to the "workflow" tab and ensure you've selected "Iterative Macro" from the dropdown:

workflow type.PNG

Then go to the "Interface Designer" and configure as follows:

interface designer.PNG

The important parts here are to define it as iterative, and allow the number of iterations to be higher than would be minimally output with the current data. This allows for the hierarchy to expand as more levels are added, but also to allow for the left over records to be output so you can be warned to go and expand the number of iterations to deal with these records.

Workflow.PNGResults.PNG

Bulien