Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #117: Credit/Debit Midpoints

TerryT
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I took the opportunity to practice batch macros:

Spoiler
challenge_117_TTT.PNGchallenge_117_TTT_batch_macro.PNG

...also, thanks @NicoleJohnson for demonstrating the Make Columns tool!

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I started working on an iterative macro, but then took that logic and built it into a regular workflow instead.

ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Uploading my solution...

workflow.PNG

kat
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
Challenge #117.PNG
KOBoyle
11 - Bolide

Solution attached. Given that the problem puts BEFORE and AFTER in big, bold letters I think the answer provided not completely correct. From some the solutions that I have looked at, it looks like many are adding the transaction amount itself to the Sum BEFORE and Sum AFTER. For the account 2 illustration provided, several submitted solutions were comparing a sum of 10 before/after instead of 6. In most cases this returns the correct answer, except in the case of end points. For the first transaction in any account (Trx 0), there are no DR/CR amounts before it to sum, so I do not see how it meets the required criteria given that the transaction amount itself should not be included in the sum. The same applies to the last transaction in an account where the are no amounts after to sum. In my solution, I do not include the transaction amount in the sums, so for Account 1 the end points (Trx 0 and Trx 7) get filtered out because either the sum BEFORE or the sum AFTER is null.

MsBindy
8 - Asteroid

Where is that tool that looks like a column that I'm seeing people use?  It's orange, so I thought I'd see it with the Transform tools, but I don't?

Never mind.....I found it.

MsBindy
8 - Asteroid

I had to take sneak peek at solutions to figure out the approach.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
trodriguez91
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
spoilertransactions.png
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Not even nearly as clever as @NicoleJohnson's forward & reverse solution.

Spoiler
- exploded this out, and used a pointer to determine the break.
- Then used two summarize tools to calculate the items on either side of the break.
- Then, in order to accommodate matches on the 0th and nth transaction - just joined it back to the fully exploded set.

2018-06-03_18-45-33.png