Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #117: Credit/Debit Midpoints

leesin
7 - Meteor

kcgreen
8 - Asteroid

The hardest part for me was understanding the request.  Once I wrapped my head around what was needed, the Alteryx workflow was pretty straightforward.

Spoiler

117.JPG

joe_yang
6 - Meteoroid

I tired to do it w/o the Running Total tool but it wouldn't work w/o a long massive conditional statement.  The Running Total tool keeps the workflow code-free :)   Here is my version to the solutionCapture.PNG

ivoller
12 - Quasar

Sledgehammer approach :-) Used nasty multi formula.

Spoiler
2018-05-22_16-08-38.png
joe_yang
6 - Meteoroid

I like it! My first attempt was very similar but you are a better man for sledgehammering it in to make it work. :) That switch function is sweet!

mmongeon
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution

Spoiler
workflow 117.JPG
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Fantastic challenge. I actually struggled with this one and I feel there are better ways to do this. 

Spoiler
Mine is almost exactly the same as @NicoleJohnson and I must give her a shout out for having a much better solution at the beginning of the workflow with the use of the "Make Columns" tool. Mine used a clunky multi-field formula, so I stole hers. Shameless.

Anyway, I couldn't think of any other way to do this other than parsing to columns, getting a running total for each account, reversing the sorting, getting a running total the other way, then filtering those records where these running totals were equal.
Not very complex, but neither is my brain.

Workflow.PNGResults.PNG

Bulien

joe_yang
6 - Meteoroid

If the sledgehammer approach is fair game, here is mine:

SledgeHammer.PNG

Natasha
9 - Comet

Here is my solution using a macro. Looking now at all the nice Running Total solutions, mine looks like a monster. Also felt a bit like adding some checks to the workflow so I am checking that the total number of credits/debits against the account equals to the total number of actual transactions per account.

Spoiler

alteryx_challenge_117.pngalteryx_challenge_117_macro.png

GalynaSkamrova
7 - Meteor

My solution, appeared to be similar to some posted earlier

Spoiler
2018-05-24_14h57_37.png