Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #117: Credit/Debit Midpoints

leesin
7 - Meteor

kcgreen
8 - Asteroid

The hardest part for me was understanding the request.  Once I wrapped my head around what was needed, the Alteryx workflow was pretty straightforward.

Spoiler

117.JPG

joe_yang
6 - Meteoroid

I tired to do it w/o the Running Total tool but it wouldn't work w/o a long massive conditional statement.  The Running Total tool keeps the workflow code-free :)   Here is my version to the solutionCapture.PNG

ivoller
12 - Quasar

Sledgehammer approach :-) Used nasty multi formula.

Spoiler
2018-05-22_16-08-38.png
joe_yang
6 - Meteoroid

I like it! My first attempt was very similar but you are a better man for sledgehammering it in to make it work. :) That switch function is sweet!

mmongeon
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution

Spoiler
workflow 117.JPG
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Fantastic challenge. I actually struggled with this one and I feel there are better ways to do this. 

Spoiler
Mine is almost exactly the same as @NicoleJohnson and I must give her a shout out for having a much better solution at the beginning of the workflow with the use of the "Make Columns" tool. Mine used a clunky multi-field formula, so I stole hers. Shameless.

Anyway, I couldn't think of any other way to do this other than parsing to columns, getting a running total for each account, reversing the sorting, getting a running total the other way, then filtering those records where these running totals were equal.
Not very complex, but neither is my brain.

Workflow.PNGResults.PNG

Bulien

joe_yang
6 - Meteoroid

If the sledgehammer approach is fair game, here is mine:

SledgeHammer.PNG

Natasha
9 - Comet

Here is my solution using a macro. Looking now at all the nice Running Total solutions, mine looks like a monster. Also felt a bit like adding some checks to the workflow so I am checking that the total number of credits/debits against the account equals to the total number of actual transactions per account.

Spoiler

alteryx_challenge_117.pngalteryx_challenge_117_macro.png

GalynaSkamrova
7 - Meteor

My solution, appeared to be similar to some posted earlier

Spoiler
2018-05-24_14h57_37.png