Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #116: A Symphony of Parsing Tools!

mgaronson
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
mgaronson_0-1675625704445.png

Big thanks to @joe_yang solution that helped me understand how to parse XML.

kristiadiuisan
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Alteryx_challenge_116_KU.png
alacoume
8 - Asteroid

A solution:

bkclaw113
9 - Comet

Reminds me why I hate working with XML

Spoiler
bkclaw113_0-1681490682382.png

chandler-gjino
Alteryx
Alteryx

attaching my solution

geoff_zath
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
geoff_zath_0-1686862948555.png

michaelbono16
7 - Meteor

mithily
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
followed mmongeons lead but will have to revisit as its not as clean as it can be
ed_hayter
12 - Quasar

Very challenging.

This exposed my lack of knowledge of XML tool but I think also exposed its flaws. WIthout knowing smart configurations to do this in simple terms I set about working through the levels of the XML - tokenizing where required with REGEX.

End result was a lot more records than the expected output. In part because I seemed to capture more information for one concert that had 1 row in the expected output mine had over 7 rows as I captured all the songs played at that concert. But even my method seemed to miss 14 concerts I could not get any information for.

Next steps - need to crack the config for xml parse.

Spoiler
Challenge 116 WF Image.png
I also learnt that copying across the download field is not sustainable it leads to slow computing as the table becomes huge holding that large a string field.
olga_strubbe
10 - Fireball

Thank you, @ChristineB!  My Download tool is blocked by the firewall, but I followed your solution with the data from Download tool, using XML Parse tool.  This was my first time using XML Parsing tool.  Thank you for showing the way!