Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #115: Let's get crafty!

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A solution for last week's challenge has been posted here in both video and workflow forms! 

This week's Challenge lets you get crafty!  Create an app to allow a user to search a list of craft canned beers by state of origin or beer style.  Configure the app's interface to utilize radio buttons to expose the selection elements for each selection option: a Text Box for searching by state, and a Drop-Down for beer styles.  Feel free to customize the app as you see fit! 

cropped_image.png

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
You may have to run this as a workflow first to populate the drop downs. I love using the %Question.Name% syntax to pass variables. I used the dynamic rename because the crosstab goofs up fieldnames (changes spaced and special characters to underscore). If I'm allowed to toot my own horn, this challenge would have been easier if this idea or this idea were completed :)

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG
kat
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
Challenge #115 app.PNG
Challenge #115 workflow.PNG
mmongeon
8 - Asteroid

Here's my submission!

Spoiler
I would have prefered to have my Beer Style drop-down get it's values from the dataset, instead of hardcoding the list...
I'll be looking at other's submissions to see if there was a graceful way to do this.
workflow.JPG
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Here's my solution:

Spoiler
A little searching led me to the Collapse Group When Deselected trick, which I hadn't come across before, and will definitely be using again..solution_115.png

david_fetters
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
'Cheated' by using the output of a browse tool to populate the dropdown list, but until the dropdown can be populated dynamically, it takes the same steps as the other option of rerunning the app in alteryx if the style list should ever change.
ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Got crafty, and a little thirsty as well...oh well at least I have my water bottle right here!

Spoiler
Created an app using the detour tool.

Seemed as though the filter by "WY" in the example output was somehow showing multiple styles for each beer name.  It had 66 rows.  I pull 15 when I run the app.
GalynaSkamrova
7 - Meteor

My solution

Spoiler

2018-05-08_12h50_31.png

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@ggruccio good catch!  I updated the start file to reflect the correct results.  

petgrap
8 - Asteroid