Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #114: Think Like a CSE...Remove the extra delimiter from the JSON output

kennydso
5 - Atom

Inactive User
Not applicable

JimPer
5 - Atom

Here it is !

Spoiler
weekly challenge.png

ckings
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
Change the output tool to .CSV and the delimiter to no delimiter
wk114.PNG
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution!

Spoiler
Same as the others, I eventually found some info on the site about the extra characters in JSON output resolving if you output to CSV... however, this might be a stupid question, but couldn't you avoid this whole thing by just outputting your original data direct to JSON, without the Transpose/formulas/JSON Build tools in between? Looks largely similar in output, but as I'm not super familiar with JSON, I'm unclear whether there is an advantage/purpose for having all records combined (as in the first example) or if a separate record for each would be acceptable. Any insight from the JSON experts out there on why you would do this one way vs. the other would be great!! :)

WeeklyChallenge114.JPG

Cheers,

NJ

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

This one had me stumped for a bit!

Spoiler
Not really much of a spoiler, but I had to search community for an approach to this.  I knew there had to be something related to the output tool.  Found an article that addressed this about 3 years ago.  Just another example of how great the Alteryx community is as a resource and how we may not know everything ourselves, but can solve with collaboration!
david_fetters
11 - Bolide

kat
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
Challenge #114.PNG
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@NicoleJohnson 

Spoiler

If you compare the 2 outputs:

NotworkingNotworkingNotworking1Notworking1

The 'Notworking' defines a Record object with an array of 2 while the 'Notworking1' does not have the Record object at all. Inside the object, we can declare any number of properties using "name" : "value" paring, separated by commas. In the 'Notworking example' if I wanted to access the information, I would just call the record object while in the Notworking example, it would be harder for me to call the object as there isn't one. 

Digan
Alteryx
petgrap
8 - Asteroid

On the designer core exam that I recently passed, there was a question on \0 delimiter. Not familiar with it, I ask during a webex training this week to demo the concept. I did not see the delimiter option with the JSON output (no experience with JSON).

Tried to use it in the formula did not work. So I turned to the community topic to solve the challenge and learned a new trick of using CSV output but saving the file with a different extension.

I love these challenges. I am always learning something new which eventually becomes useful!!!