Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #113: Interpolating Spatial Grid Values

MMehdi
8 - Asteroid

Challenge #113 resolved

Spoiler
WorkflowWorkflow
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Fun! Also created a spatial and non-spatial approach. I didn't know you could customize the Find Nearest tool to whatever number you need.

Spoiler
Pretty similar to other solutions. Instead of using a formula tool. dynamically renamed the column headers to start with 0. Also decided to parse out the column and row headers from the Maui grid using a RegEx parse tool, parsing method.

For the non-spatial, 2 generate row tools generated the rows and columns needed for the averages. When you match back to the non-average values, rows and columns outside the grid fall away.
image.png
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Tackled this in a cheap-and-cheerful kinda way.    going to look at other folks' solutions next

Spoiler
- Transposed the data so that each sell was represented as X,Y,Value
- Then used row generators to add 9 rows for each row, which would point to the surrounding cells
- Joined to the original data set from step 1 to bring in the value (which then also filtered out values that don't exist because it's an edge piece etc)
- Summarised the average of all surrounding cells.

Now I have a table of:
X; Y; Value; Average of surrounding

Then it's a simple matter of replacing the value with the average if the value is zero; and then crosstabbing back in to the right format.

2018-06-03_9-27-35.png

Rachel_B
7 - Meteor

Good challenge for using new spatial tools! I did not do a non-spatial approach but love the creativity and variety of others' solutions.

cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

This was a fun exercise! Don't get to use the spatial tools that often. It would have also helped if I would have read the instructions and realized the distance measure was meters and not miles like my brain interpreted from "m."

Spoiler
Challenge 113.JPGDefinitely going to apply some of these concepts to my work. 
jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Solution attached.

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

My solution, I had no idea what the goal of this was so  had to look at the solution to figure out what was required

Spoiler
113.PNG
JoBen
11 - Bolide

This was a lot of fun. Thanks!

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Challenge Completed

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I love that you can use find nearest to get the 8 nearest grid values, but also set a distance limit to get 5 grid values for the pieces around the edge.

Spoiler
Challenge 113 - Capture.PNG