Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #113: Interpolating Spatial Grid Values

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

So many different solutions to last week's Challenge have been posted here!

This week's Challenge riffs off a process typically used in spatial analysis with raster inputs: interpolation.  In this Challenge, you are provided with two inputs: a polygon representing the island of Maui (hey, there's still snow in the forecast here in CO...can you blame me for picking a beachy location?) and a table of values representing the elevation measurements for 500 m x 500 m grid cells (much like a Digital Elevation Model).  However, some grid cells contain a value of 0.  We'll use some spatial tools to interpolate, or estimate, the values of the cells containing 0 from a "nearest neighborhood" or surrounding cell values. 

First, build a 500 m x 500 m grid around the island of Maui.   Then, interpolate the missing value using the average of the known measurements from the surrounding cells, or "neighborhood".  Use a neighborhood of the 8 nearest surrounding cells in a unique cardinal direction (see example below; a neighborhood of a cell containing a 0 is outlined in blue. In this example, the new interpolated value of the center cell would be 61.5). Should a missing value be located on the edge, use only the nearest cells in a unique cardinal direction, even if 8 values are not used for the calculation.

example.png

Hint: Grid cell Grd37_68 is column 37, row 68. The Grid tool starts with column 0.

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Fun spatial exercise!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I opted for a non-spatial technique. 

EDIT: I added a spatial technique as well.

Spoiler
Capture.PNG

David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

It's a good challenge when I start with a sheet of paper and pencil  to figure out the logic, before any tools get dropped onto a canvas.

Spoiler
David-Carnes_113.PNG
leesin
7 - Meteor

Inactive User
Not applicable

kat
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
Took me a while to wrap my head around this one! My way of solving it felt quite cumbersome, curious to see what better ways are out there.

Challenge #113.PNG
mmongeon
8 - Asteroid

Here's my submission.

This was a great way for me to get more familiar with some of the Spatial tools, thanks!

Spoiler
Weekly challenge 113.JPG
bdaniels
8 - Asteroid

Slowly but surely learning how to use spatial tools

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 11.15.13 AM.png
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution! Included both a spatial and a non-spatial solution :) Fun one!

Spoiler
WeeklyChallenge113.JPG

Cheers, 

NJ