Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #112: Organizing Survey Data

maraquindoza
7 - Meteor

Uploading my solution as well :)

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This one baked my noodle a bit, and the workflow is probably one of my messiest for a while, but here goes:

Spoiler
I started by dropping the extra columns and splitting the data using the "Select Records" tool. Here, I selected in one stream the question and answer rows for the first three questions, and on the second selector I did the same for the last questions that are in a different format, and transposed each stream into a single column. The second stream, I parsed to rows on the ":", I then unioned the steams back together:

Split and union.PNG
This put all questions and answers into the same alternating format.
From there it was a simple case of creating a Question/Answer column, and using the "Make Columns" tool to create a column for the question and answer on the same row.
Then I simply cross-tabbed the data and cleaned up. The last step being a dynamic rename to replace the underscore in the titles.

Workflow.PNGResults.PNG

Bulien

mickael_gest
8 - Asteroid

My solution :)

Spoiler
challenge_112.PNG

justin_winter
8 - Asteroid

7 tool solution. Not quite as efficient as a few folks 5-6 tools. Great chance to use the multi-field formula!

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Solution attached below

Spoiler
2018-06-03_9-25-13.png
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Solution

Spoiler
112.png
mihir306