Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #112: Organizing Survey Data

maraquindoza
7 - Meteor

Uploading my solution as well :)

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This one baked my noodle a bit, and the workflow is probably one of my messiest for a while, but here goes:

Spoiler
I started by dropping the extra columns and splitting the data using the "Select Records" tool. Here, I selected in one stream the question and answer rows for the first three questions, and on the second selector I did the same for the last questions that are in a different format, and transposed each stream into a single column. The second stream, I parsed to rows on the ":", I then unioned the steams back together:

Split and union.PNG
This put all questions and answers into the same alternating format.
From there it was a simple case of creating a Question/Answer column, and using the "Make Columns" tool to create a column for the question and answer on the same row.
Then I simply cross-tabbed the data and cleaned up. The last step being a dynamic rename to replace the underscore in the titles.

Workflow.PNGResults.PNG

Bulien

mickael_gest
8 - Asteroid

My solution :)

Spoiler
challenge_112.PNG

justin_winter
8 - Asteroid

7 tool solution. Not quite as efficient as a few folks 5-6 tools. Great chance to use the multi-field formula!

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Solution attached below

Spoiler
2018-06-03_9-25-13.png
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Solution

Spoiler
112.png
mihir306