Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #112: Organizing Survey Data

Rachel_B
7 - Meteor

My solution! Its cool to see how many different ways people accomplished this!

kartheek31
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
Alteryx_112_output_2.PNG

Workflow works even if there is no input for questions like First Name, Last Name ......

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Rachel_B, I agree!  Even my solution (which I'll post next Monday...no judgement on the number of tools it took me to solve, please!) is so different from any solution submitted so far.  I'm loving all the variety and creativity here! 

David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

Probably a few too many tools but stream-of-consciousness type development got me this:

Spoiler
challenge_112.PNG
MMehdi
8 - Asteroid

Challenge 112 resolved

Spoiler
WorkflowWorkflow
asifk
8 - Asteroid

Capture2.JPG

Nice Exercise, I can't wait to learn the simple approach.

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Wanted to create a workflow that wouldn't require manual selecting and renaming with a Select tool (see @JoeM, I do use other tools). 

Spoiler
First steps were to standardize the data, so that one row is the question, and the next row provides the answer. This involved 2 steps. 1) remove the rows that are just Q1, Q2, etc., and 2) standardize the rows with the question and answer blended together.

For 2, I separated out just those rows (qualified by "H" in the formula tool early on in my workflow) and stacked them on top of each other with a Union. 

I then used a Multi-Field formula tool to fix all of the columns (remove the "What is your", use title case, separate the questions in the rows cited as 2) above into just the question and just the answer. This was a bit of a convoluted IF THEN ELSEIF, but it worked well, and one tool only!

One more dynamic select to choose just the F1, F2, etc. columns. Then the same process as many others. Assign a record ID, transpose the data, crosstab it into columns.

Separated the questions from the answers with dynamic select, Unioned back together, and renamed with Dynamic rename.

And there you have it. A way to dynamically choose columns, rename columns, etc., without manual work in a Select tool.image.png
ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@estherb47 the Dynamic Select tool is one of my favorites! :) 

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@ChristineB Me too!!! It's like Filter for your columns. I love using (and teaching) it.

CHarrison
8 - Asteroid

My solution :)