Oooh, this was a fun one. I had to re-learn the Optimisation tool, which is a good thing.
I then created the fields required for the Optimisation tool, the upper and lower bounds and the type. These were straightforward as this is a binary type (selected or not) and therefore the upper bound is 1 and the lower is 0. Nice and simple and so far it was all coming back to me.
I then needed to create the three required streams for Optimisation, which was relatively straightforward once I could remember which was which. Eventually I decided to rename them so I wouldn't get confused, so the Author is the variable, this is the unique record identifier. The next is determining the coefficient, which the number you wish to maximise, in this case this is Challenges. I then simply selected the bounds and type.
For the second input (A anchor) you need to define the constraints. Here, we are limited by Price and number of people (8), so the variable, Price and upper bound (1) fields are selected.
Finally, I needed to create the constraints definition, so I just used a text input to determine the following:
These were then fed into the Optimisation tool:
This is where I had to remember how to configure the tool, but it is relatively easy once you know how, and what redundant phrase that is.
Once I had renamed the fields it was easy to map them accordingly.
I then simply took the S output from the tool, joined it back to the raw data, created a summary line and my results were as follows:
A total of 685 challenges.
So, easy once I got my head around the tool again having not used it since the Fantasy Football app of 2017.
Approached using the Optimization tool. I've never used this tool and I don't think I've ever tackled an Optimization problem before. Very interesting tool and I'm looking forward to using it more often!
Tried it with the first logic I thought of but the answer came out low. I've known about optimisation tools and the logic behind them from an old course (but in excel, blergh), but hadn't gotten around to learning to configure them in Alteryx. So thanks to the link on page 1 to the baseball example! Time to go and find another optimisation challenge to cement what I learned!