Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #111: Make a Weekly Challenge Dream Team!

SylwiaDragon
8 - Asteroid

Done

FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

With a ranking macro I created for another task before, this was a quick one.

Spoiler
FrederikE_1-1648975587904.png

FrederikE_0-1648975905808.png

757 Challenges done by this team.

Shifty
12 - Quasar

I did not make the cut but I did make the best team (after a sneaky handpick of ACEs that I'm certain is not in the spirit of things but DOMAIN KNOWLEDGE). 

Spoiler
Shifty_2-1651215927410.png

@mceleavey, you can be Team Captain if you like this post.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Oooh, this was a fun one. I had to re-learn the Optimisation tool, which is a good thing.

Spoiler
So, first I created a rank using the multi-row to determine if others had the same number of challenge and assign the same rank.
I then joined to the second dataset using this rank:
mceleavey_0-1651233869967.png

I then created the fields required for the Optimisation tool, the upper and lower bounds and the type. These were straightforward as this is a binary type (selected or not) and therefore the upper bound is 1 and the lower is 0. Nice and simple and so far it was all coming back to me.

I then needed to create the three required streams for Optimisation, which was relatively straightforward once I could remember which was which. Eventually I decided to rename them so I wouldn't get confused, so the Author is the variable, this is the unique record identifier. The next is determining the coefficient, which the number you wish to maximise, in this case this is Challenges. I then simply selected the bounds and type.
For the second input (A anchor) you need to define the constraints. Here, we are limited by Price and number of people (8), so the variable, Price and upper bound (1) fields are selected.
Finally, I needed to create the constraints definition, so I just used a text input to determine the following:

mceleavey_1-1651234150844.png

These were then fed into the Optimisation tool:

mceleavey_2-1651234180708.png

This is where I had to remember how to configure the tool, but it is relatively easy once you know how, and what redundant phrase that is.

mceleavey_3-1651234294363.png

Once I had renamed the fields it was easy to map them accordingly.
I then simply took the S output from the tool, joined it back to the raw data, created a summary line and my results were as follows:

mceleavey_4-1651234357456.pngmceleavey_5-1651234433985.png

A total of 685 challenges.
Dream Team.

So, easy once I got my head around the tool again having not used it since the Fantasy Football app of 2017.

M.

Bulien

TonyAndriani
9 - Comet

Reposting under my new user ID.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

solution attached

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Maybe someday I will figure out the optimization tool without a bunch of help!

mmontgomery
10 - Fireball

Challenge #111

hannahcrabtree
8 - Asteroid

Solution uploaded

Spoiler
hannahcrabtree_0-1655334241474.png

Approached using the Optimization tool. I've never used this tool and I don't think I've ever tackled an Optimization problem before. Very interesting tool and I'm looking forward to using it more often! 

JamesCharnley
13 - Pulsar
Spoiler
JamesCharnley_0-1655734628798.png

Tried it with the first logic I thought of but the answer came out low. I've known about optimisation tools and the logic behind them from an old course (but in excel, blergh), but hadn't gotten around to learning to configure them in Alteryx. So thanks to the link on page 1 to the baseball example! Time to go and find another optimisation challenge to cement what I learned!