Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #109: Women in Government Around the World

DriveMyData
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I enjoyed this one. Kudos!

Spoiler
I started by applying filters to each input to remove those records that had not reporting in 1997 and 2017, and those that did not have valid income and region fields then joined together on the company code and transposed the year column values into a single column:
1. Load, filter, join, pivot.PNG
I then cleaned up the data using the auto field and data cleansing tools, and fixed the value field to apply the concept of taking the previous value in the case of a null. I then calculated the change difference between years:
2. Create Value and Difference.PNG
I then split the stream into three to apply the additional restrictions, isolating the records that needed to be removed and driving the filter on the join:

3. Use joins to filter records.PNG
I then sorted by Income Group and then descending on the 20YearChange field. A sample tool was then used to take the first three for each group:

4. Sample.PNG

Result.PNG

Bulien

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Solution below

Spoiler

2018-06-03_8-10-59.png2018-06-03_8-11-17.png
jasperlch
12 - Quasar

jezknee
7 - Meteor

Solution attached.

Carlithian
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Finally getting my head around these multi row formulas :) fun challenge 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Good challenge

I finally grasped the concept of splitting the stream, calculating a summary and then joining back to the original stream to filter out records!  Only took me ~80 weekly challenges.  But remember, never...cross...the...streams

Spoiler
Solution 109.png

Dan

Aster
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
109.png

Took me 40 minutes as I was not sure how to deal with countries that start reporting after 1997.

Wonders if there is a simpler way.

AndyBate
8 - Asteroid

complete

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Great challenge! I've learnt how to use grouping in the Sample Tool, which is very handy!