Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #106: How Long were the Lights On?

JeremyGonzva
8 - Asteroid

Solution

Ben_Jeffreys
8 - Asteroid

My submission

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi, Please find my solution for the given problem.

Sapna Gupta
quandai
7 - Meteor

Attached is my solution.

edavilac
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the challenge, sharing my solution. 

Spoiler
I need to refine my time conversion technique, I used a lot of "Multi-field Formula" steps, then saw in previous posts that is was possible to make the whole time conversion within the "Generate Rows" tool. Learned a lot!

Challenge_106_edavilac.PNG

izamryan
8 - Asteroid

This was one of the best ones I've done so far! Great little puzzle, thank you for sharing this one. What can I say!?

I ❤️ the thrill of solving! Hope you guys are having fun too.

I think we should come up with a Daft Punk remix of ... "Clean it ... Munge it! Grep it ... SELECT it! CLEANER, MUNGER, GREPER, SELECTER!!!"

Spoiler
izamryan_1-1590408371148.png

3 main steps here: Clean, Analyse, Solve

1. Clean it!
The raw time stamp data needs to be put into date/time format so we can use the built-ins datetimediff().
It helps to think about what your "unit of measure" is when solving these challenges: here the "unit of measure" is "room-minutes" which I've called "duration" throughout.

2. Analyse it!
We can then calculate, for each row, the Duration which = datetimdiff(Exit_dt,Enter_dt,"minutes"). This calculation isn't strictly necessary but when analysing it, I preferred to have this so I can double-check my logic as I was walking through the workflow.

We then give a Unique ID to each row to facilitate the next calculation which is essentially a pivot.

Three multi-row formulas, which:
a. Calculate the overlap (in minutes). Actually you can combine this with b. below but I prefer to do this serially step by step to make the workflow more readable and understandable. You can also benefit by having the signs (+ve and -ve, which can signpost if your next step is correct or not.
b. Identify which room sessions have an overlap.
c. For each of the identified overlap sessions : group all all the overlap sessions together and give them an index = the uniqueID of the first session in that overlap grouping.

3. Now Solve!
Summarise tool, grouping by the new Index we just created. This collapses the overlap groups together and gives the minimum time that the lights were first turned on and the maximum time that the lights were turned off.

You can't use the duration in minutes here because that won't take care of the edge cases of the first user coming in and going before the second user has used the room for longer.

Once you've got min/max of the room-sessions, you can now solve for the room-minutes with a Summarise tool.

voila! Same result as the given Output node.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi,

Sharing my solution.
I think this exercise is very useful as I believe similar user cases are quite common.

Spoiler
Challenge_104_Emil_Kos.PNG

Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Fun one!

balajilolla
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Solution Attached

balajilolla_0-1591392564402.png

deviseetharaman