Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #106: How Long were the Lights On?

Vidya26
8 - Asteroid

My Solution!!

garthn555
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
106.png
ZenonH
8 - Asteroid

I'm surprised that you can't use some DateTime functions on 'Time' only data, but it does make good sense and practice to always have a date associated with your data and then change your type at the end (:

Spoiler
ZHWF.PNG
alex
11 - Bolide

same as most

Laszlo_D
8 - Asteroid

clipboard_image_0.png

rougeau14
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
clipboard_image_0.png

I learned so much about date-time functions and the generate rows tool while doing this challenge. Definitely an interesting problem to solve!

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Nice

Spoiler
challenge 106.png
kjolly96
5 - Atom
Spoiler
clipboard_image_0.png
SueDonim
8 - Asteroid

Definitely made this one harder than it needed to be ([Insert Michael Scott comment here]).  Thought the general solution was wrong for quite a while, but, surprise, found out the error was mine.

Need to study the other solutions as I can see they are much simpler (though not keen on the brute force Generate Rows idea)

Spoiler
Process:
- Convert times to useable format
- Sort by room, then by entry, then by exit
- Calculate time in room (without considering duplicates)
- Calculate overlap time in room in one direction (i.e. 2nd entry before first exit)
- Calculate overlap time in room in other direction (i.e. 2nd exit before 1st exit) - this is the step I overlooked initially
- Grouped each figure by room and added the three times (in the three steps above)
- Joined data
- Subtracted difference in overlap times from total time (i.e. Total - (Overlap 1 - Overlap 2))
- Cleaned up data

MySolution.PNG
varunvarma87
8 - Asteroid

Challenge Completed !

Spoiler
2019-10-14 15_44_49-Alteryx Designer x64 - challenge_106_start_file.yxmd_.png