Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #105: Think Like a CSE… Tools are missing!

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora
Spoiler
Figured there must be something in the xml code, because I couldn't find a way to change the location of the macro in Alteryx without actually reloading the tool.

Opened the workflow in Notepad, found the reference to the Macro, and replaced it with the correct location of the macro. Then exported the workflow to keep everything nicely packaged together.

This will be a very useful skill as I try to get more and more users to go with macro and app based solutions!

BONUS QUESTION: Removed the date input from the macro, and adjusted the first text input to have the desired date. Removed the error checking tools, because there's no need to check for incorrect dates when user input is removed from the equation

image.png
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

I opted for the old XML hack method :)

I also sent a very grumpy email to my co-worker asking him to make sure that he sends this workflow as a packaged workflow in the future :)

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 105 xml.png

Weekly Challenge 105 output.png

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

santosh_kandregula
6 - Meteoroid

terry10
11 - Bolide

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Just like @patrick_digan - notepad ++, search; find; replace

Glad for this challenge- it's a very common issue in real life!

jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Spoiler

1. I updated the directory for the macro inside the yxmd file:

Capture.PNG

2. API info can be found in the Text Input tool inside the yxmc file:

Capture1.PNG

fharper
12 - Quasar
  1. The coworker provided both flow and macro, just save to a folder or folders of your choice then delete/insert the macro again into the flow and run
  2. Educate coworkers that if they exported the flow an export captures macros and dependencies and thus facilitates exchanging code without issues.
  3. Recommend setting up a folder structure appropriate to the organizations size and complexity that is on shared network storage so you don't have to copy or export flows and such to share them
  4. Bonus...the macro retains last settings, assumed to be the original setting...the date selection is defaulted to Today and the API key is populated so no real action required.
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Macro location fixed.  Thanks, NotePad++.    Original report restored

I'm currently working on large(120+ tools and counting) workflow and found out that my original naming convention wasn't acceptable.  Solution:  Open the yxmd in NotePad++ and use search and replace to rename everything.  30 minutes of work and I only ended up with 2 errors on opening the workflow.  Updating all the references though the Alteryx UI would have taken 10+ hours.

report.png

Dan

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I copied the Macro into my existing Macro path, then dragged it from the Macros Tool Palette onto the canvas.

By clicking on the broken Macro, I got the date 2017-12-16, and noticed checkbox setting is false, so I replicated this in the new macro.

Then I deleted the broken Macro and connected the new Macro to the rest of the workflow and ran it.

Having subsequently checked some of the other answers, opening the workflow file in a text editor and fixing the path is a very cool trick! I've banked that one!!!

JoBen
11 - Bolide

Cheers! I tried using the API key that was in the original workflow, and it would not work. The Demo_Key API key worked fine though.