Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #104: Love's not the only thing in the air!

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A solution to last week's Challenge can be found here!

Love...it's not the only thing in the air this week!  The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) measures the concentrations of certain pollutants, like ozone (O3),  and assigns an Air Quality Index (AQI) value to that concentration.  For each pollutant with measurements, calculate the number of days in the month of February assigned as each category on the EPA's Air Quality Index. 

For this Challenge, I chose to work with data recorded in Denver, CO.  The dataset provided includes cities from all over the US; feel free to "choose your own adventure" and select a city that interests you!  Design the workflow to be as dynamic as possible; imagine that someone will run this workflow every month.  What can you do to make sure that the results reflect the month in which the workflow is run? 

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Capture.PNG

I used the download tool to pull the AQI buckets from the EPA directly. I used the dynamic replace to convert the numbers to their corresponding AQI. I used My multi row multi-field macro to blank out the city, state and pollutant from being repeated. 
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Here's my solution. I decided to filter the data to only show the most recent year available for the selected site, and scaffolded the data to include zero rows. Colours are replicated from the AQI website. With a bit more time I'd make this into an analytic app but I'm happy with this for now.

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 20.32.57.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-12 at 20.27.41.png

Natasha
9 - Comet

Since Inspire 2018 is going to be in Anaheim, CA I chose the closest station located in Orange County. It was a good suggestion to make sure that the latest month is included, as the last measurements in Costa Mesa were done at the end of 2015! I didn't make an app to dynamically select the location but included the last date of measurements and played a little bit with a layout. 

Edit: Here is an updated workflow & screenshots, as I didn't notice that results need to be filtered for a run month. I really need to start reading the task more carefully..

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 23.04.56.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-12 at 23.04.35.png

shanakag
6 - Meteoroid

pic 1.PNGpic 2.PNG

CHarrison
8 - Asteroid

As a hardcore Breaking Bad fan, I decided to choose Albuquerque! As previously mentioned, it would be nice to make an app of this letting the user decide which city/state they want to include 

Spoiler
104.png
kat
12 - Quasar

Here's my attempt :)

Spoiler
Challenge #104.PNG
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

And my attempt. Thank you @Natasha for showing me the Table formatting apply to rows. I was gonna spend all day applying the rules to each column before hand.

Spoiler
challenge_104 - Snip.PNG
ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Cleveland's air quality is healthier than I thought!

data_rachel
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
A fun introduction to the reporting tool. Like everyone else, I would like to make this into an app where users can choose their city. I went with Kansas City for no particular reason, although I did test San Diego and there seemed to be no data for Feb for any year for San Diego. I also tested Denver but my results did not match the example. I feel like I could have made this a bit simpler. I might have taken a few shortcuts and it may be a little quick and dirty so I hope to spend some time over this weekend trying to re-jig this. Keep an eye out for an update.
UPDATE1: Looks like there was a problem with my previous submission. Fixed it and updated now.

challenge104.PNG