Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #103: Just another game?

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Here's my solution:

Spoiler
Took a bit of time to understand the errors being generated by the regression tool, eventually realised it doesn't like null values.

Got quite a few offence metric in the prediction model, but guess that's important as that's how you score points. Being a Brit I don't know too much about NFL so hopefully haven't caused much disservice to the game!

Challenge 103.PNG
Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora
Spoiler
Took the 4 lowest correlated (non-expected) variables
Challenge 103.png
TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Solution attached. Looks like the neural network got me the closest. It hit both the 2016 results and 2017 results almost exactly but I also included the 2018 results and it didn't do quite so well. 

Laszlo_D
8 - Asteroid

KMiller
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached.

Spoiler
04-10-2019 09-26-59.png
arjanloogman
8 - Asteroid

Yes, I peeked...

For some reason, the Tree Model got me closest predicting the Super Bowl...?

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 15.50.01.png

Anyway, great to be learning this topic, slowly dawning on me...

...and I know it's close to blasphemous, but I even got the Pearson's correlation choose the variables for a predictive macro...

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 16.19.42.png

Kind regards,

Arjan Loogman

hanykowska
11 - Bolide

Nice predictive practice, although I'm not sure I did what was intended

Spoiler
image.png
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Interesting to look at what data sets produce more accurate results.  In addition to predicting results using all data I broke out regular season from post season to see if it was more accurate (it was not), but not enough data for post season to return a result.  I found some feeds for NHL data, so I might try my hand at building predictive models for hockey.  I read an article that hockey is going to have about 3,000 data points per second for games, so lots to analyze.  

Spoiler
Workflow 103.JPG

JamesCameron
8 - Asteroid

Here's my effort - leaned heavily on what I learnt in challenge 18!

Spoiler
JamesCameron_0-1578640993791.png
rmassambane
10 - Fireball