Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #103: Just another game?

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

There is evidence supporting the fact the fact that the Superbowl is less predictable. I used a linear regression model, but I wouldn't mind knowing which models I should use under which circumstances. Solution attached,

Spoiler
challenge_103 - Snip.PNG
Ilías
7 - Meteor

Fly Eagles Fly!

Ilías
7 - Meteor

Since the Patriots have no defense to speak of I just went with the offensive variables. Even the predicted score would not have been enough for the Pats.

Fly Eagles Fly!

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Challenge Completed

Inactive User
Not applicable

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Standard predictive analysis here. While I'd love to be snarky and claim that I only used offensive stats because the Pats have no defense, the real reason is in the p-values. They were statistically significant.

I explored whether removing some "outlier" games had any impact - and they resulted in worse p-values, so I went with all of the data excepting the superbowl games for modelling.

Oh, and FLY EAGLES FLY. Though I am actually a Giants fan ;)  

MMehdi
8 - Asteroid

Challenge #103 resolved

Spoiler
I used the Association analysis tool to select 3 predictor variables.
Based in the difference between :
-  The predicted scored points VS actual points  in regular season matches
-  The predicted scored points VS actual points  in Super Bowl matches

I found that the predictions were pretty accurate for regular matches but not for Super Bowl ones, I guess it is because of the whole motivation and adrenaline levels behind those special games !

Workflow (#103)Workflow (#103)

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Used a few different kinds of predictive models - linear regression seemed to do best.

jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Solution attached. Thanks!

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

I don't use predictive tools at all so this was a bit of a struggle for me but I got there in the end

Spoiler
103.PNG