community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Announcement | Get certified today - take the Alteryx Designer Core and Advanced exams on-demand now!

Challenge #103: Just another game?

Alteryx Certified Partner

There is evidence supporting the fact the fact that the Superbowl is less predictable. I used a linear regression model, but I wouldn't mind knowing which models I should use under which circumstances. Solution attached,

Spoiler
challenge_103 - Snip.PNG
Alteryx Partner

Fly Eagles Fly!

Alteryx Partner

Since the Patriots have no defense to speak of I just went with the offensive variables. Even the predicted score would not have been enough for the Pats.

Fly Eagles Fly!

Highlighted

Challenge Completed

Inactive User
Not applicable

Pulsar

Standard predictive analysis here. While I'd love to be snarky and claim that I only used offensive stats because the Pats have no defense, the real reason is in the p-values. They were statistically significant.

I explored whether removing some "outlier" games had any impact - and they resulted in worse p-values, so I went with all of the data excepting the superbowl games for modelling.

Oh, and FLY EAGLES FLY. Though I am actually a Giants fan ;)  

Challenge #103 resolved

Spoiler
I used the Association analysis tool to select 3 predictor variables.
Based in the difference between :
-  The predicted scored points VS actual points  in regular season matches
-  The predicted scored points VS actual points  in Super Bowl matches

I found that the predictions were pretty accurate for regular matches but not for Super Bowl ones, I guess it is because of the whole motivation and adrenaline levels behind those special games !

Workflow.pngWorkflow (#103)

Nebula
Nebula

Used a few different kinds of predictive models - linear regression seemed to do best.

Quasar

Solution attached. Thanks!

I don't use predictive tools at all so this was a bit of a struggle for me but I got there in the end

Spoiler
103.PNG