Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #102: Tabulating Flu Data

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A solution to last week's Challenge has been posted HERE

This year's (2017-2018) flu season has been reported to be the most severe in the past decade.  In particular, influenza-related hospitalizations are on the rise across a wider range of age groups than normal.  For this week's Challenge, we'll use data from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) concerning California's data on influenza-related hospitalizations.  Create a table that shows the cumulative number of hospitalizations per age group for each flu season.

Looking for additional analyses to do?  How about a week-by-week comparison of hospitalizations?  Or perhaps a forecast of the number of expected hospitalizations for a particular age group?  Or maybe a visual representation of the data is up your alley!  

Stay healthy out there!   

kcgreen
8 - Asteroid

Done!

Spoiler

Challenge102.JPG

David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

Simple enough to do during my lunch break.    (I took a break from working  in Alteryx to ......  work in Alteryx.)

Spoiler
Challenge 102.PNG
Claje
14 - Magnetar
Spoiler
This one was simple enough to do that I did some charting for the sake of refreshing my memory on how charting works in Alteryx.  I took the top 12 weeks by average cases for each age category and charted them.

More difficult than I thought it would be, but I got some neat stuff even without using a Visualization tool like Tableau.  EG: Based on this dataset, "Flu Season" is really two seasons, depending on age.  For infants and adults over age 50 it is the "expected" weeks 51-9, roughly December-February.  However, in the 5-17 and 18-49 demographics, they tend to get hit much earlier on average, with weeks 36-39 showing up in the top 12, but then there is a lull until ~January.  Obviously, given the limitations of this dataset, these findings don't mean anything, but I thought it was neat to see.  Particularly, I don't think of the month of September as a flu season.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
Claje
14 - Magnetar
Spoiler
You know, in all the filters I've ever written in Alteryx, I never tried IN (NULL()).  That's a really good thing to remember and probably simplifies some of my formulas.
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Here's a 2 tool solution:

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
Just don't mind row 1 or what's in those other 3 columns that aren't being shown...
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Here's my solution:

Spoiler
solution_102.png
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Two methods attached. Interested to see others' solutions for best way to keep the correct column headings with no underscores.

Spoiler
challenge_102 - Snip.PNG
courtneyg
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 1.30.PNG