Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #100: Find Ned!

darryl5280
10 - Fireball

Dropbox is blocked at my company as other companies like mine source code should never be stored on external sites. Can you place the data files on https://github.com/alteryx as GitHub is not blocked for me?

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Finally got mine tidied up and working... pleasantly close to Ned (0.4 m) run time 1m 16s

Spoiler
Congrats, you got within 0.4 meters of Ned. Look to the NE

2018-01-10_22-28-44.jpg
Ollie_Power
6 - Meteoroid

Got to within 17.1 meters of Ned in 14 seconds

Spoiler
Challenge100.png
ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Since the input files are large I only included the workflow.  Found him within 2.2 meters!

Ned.PNG

Ran in 5:59 on my computer, but the weekly virus scan is running at the same time so it may have been competing for resources.

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@darryl5280, I'll see what we can do!  I'll post back when I have an update!

CarolineMurnane
5 - Atom
Spoiler
Where is Ned.png

I considered another iteration, but 0.3m in 2 minutes will do!

Ned.png

Ilías
7 - Meteor

Okay, I've never done spatial analysis before so this challenge was quite difficult for me. After hours of hopelessly wondering in the Colorado outback I decided to get some help and was inspired by @LordNeilLord 's solution. Anyways, learned a lot about the spatial tools and think this was a fun excercise!

Ned
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

So I think we need to organize an expedition to this spot next summer.  It looks like its about 16 miles hiking from the nearest trail head (one way), so its probably at least 2 days round trip.  I think I've found the best route:

https://goo.gl/maps/H2VEPtzAUYU2

Who's in?

Ned
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Or maybe I found a better route.  Hard to measure distance because google doesn't have the trails. 

Starting from the south:  https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7032122/pine-river-trail-523

Probably a similar distance, but less vertical.

Spoiler
MiddleOfNowhere (2).png
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

This one was a fun exploration of the spatial tools. After many different attempts and approaches, landed on using grids of shrinking sizes. Rinse and repeat the gridding process, finding the one furthest from the roads.

I wanted to embed the "How Close is Ned" app into my workflow, and create an iterative macro that would loop until the workflow gets you to under 1 km away, but couldn't figure out 1) how to call the app, and 2) how to get the results written to a format that can be used for comparison. Would love suggestions & feedback here!

25.1 seconds is very reasonable to get within 3 m. 

image.png

Spoiler
Workflow:image.png