Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #10: Date Time Calculations

ademinaction
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
SPOILER

My Solution:

jvansistine
9 - Comet

Probably a bunch of ways to do this, but here's mine.

Stevej028
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
image.png
AbbieRoss-Carter
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler

Inactive User
Not applicable

LordGaia
6 - Meteoroid

My solution attached

kaianderson
8 - Asteroid

Inactive User
Not applicable

KolsumaAktar
8 - Asteroid

solutions attached

Illya
8 - Asteroid

My solution. Ah a trick question!

ATTEMPTING THIS CHALLENGE? STOP... READ THIS FIRST

The Input 'Time_Now' is different to the output answer 'Time_Now' by 41 seconds.

INPUT TIME_NOW:       2014-07-14 08:24:35

OUTPUT TIME_NOW:   2014-07-14 08:25:16

I'd like to say this didn't trip me up but it did.

I solved this quickly using modulo and felt like a genius... Checked the answer doubted myself.

Did it again in a much more complicated way, got the same answer... at this point I should have smelled a fish however I... doubted myself for a second time.

Spent too long working through the logic and wondering if time and space were at fault or I had gone mad before noticing the difference in the answer.

Cursed, waved my fist in the air repeatedly and vowed to check such things in future.

Forum Mods: If you are aware of a problem with a challenge could you please change the start file? Or at least put a warning in the Original Post.

Several people have reported this over the past three years and it's still tripping people up. Hopefully this isn't a thing in future challenges?