Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #1: Join to Range

CaraI
Alteryx
Alteryx

Starting on my Challenge Quest!

JDelgado
8 - Asteroid

I'm a newbie and decided to slowly work my way through all the weekly challenges as I have time here at work.

I completed the first one, but IDK if it's the most "elegant" solution... I thought that I had it figured out using the Generate Rows tool to break out all the postal ranges - but that last range tripped me up since it had 20 postal codes but all the others had 19.

I couldn't figure out a way to configure the tool so adjust for this so I ended up using a filter to separate the cross-ref data into two streams, generated the rows as needed, union-ed the two streams before joining to the input data to provide the summary results.

If there is a way to configure the row generation tool to accommodate for situations like this where each group set may need a different number of rows generated?

Thanks!

John Delgado

CaraI
Alteryx
Alteryx

@JDelgado - You are thinking along the right path.  The ideal solution is one where the tool is configured so that it can deal with any size range. 

Hint - Try using your RangeEnd in your conditional expression.  

JDelgado
8 - Asteroid

Thanks!

I tried something along those lines in my initial attempt, but gave up when I couldn't get it to work right... sounds like I gave up too soon. I will revisit it on Monday and see if I can figure it out.

Have a great weekend!

JohnD

ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Here is the solution

hungvvo
5 - Atom

My first challenge.  R Tool for the job.

Spoiler

SPOILERSPOILER

JDelgado
8 - Asteroid

Eureka!

And it was so simple too... not sure what I was thinking on Friday...

Nothing like a good weekend of socializing and adult beverages to clear the mind! LOL

GalynaSkamrova
7 - Meteor

My solution attached

slingshot
6 - Meteoroid

Got the right answer, probably the less effective way.

GowthamRaja
6 - Meteoroid

Have tried this challenge with Append Tool, but performance vice your idea of Generate Row was faster. Anyway a good learning  !!!