Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #1: Join to Range

KilianL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Challenge number one - and coincidentally the same solution step as this weeks challenge!

Spoiler
001 - Join to Range - Kilian.png
lorenzo-lewis
5 - Atom

Here's what my solution looks like:

Spoiler
lorenzo-lewis_0-1616547913209.png

mst3k
11 - Bolide

Are there any more efficient generalized solutions to doing this?

Append Fields : this is the method I would typically use, but say your list has 100,000 ranges in it. Do you really want to cartesian product 100,000x your rows?

Generate Rows : say the ranges are 1,000,000 numbers wide. And your values could be 10 digit decimals - you don't want to have to generate a row for every possible number between 0 and 1,000,000 in order to then do a simple join.

Formula Tool : on its own this doesn't seem generalizable, you have to code the formula and each range by hand. So if you have 1000 ranges, you'll be typing for awhile.

Tile Tool : you have to know and type in each range bound, so again it's manual and if you have 100,000 ranges in it you're going to have a bad time. It doesn't seem that you can dynamically tile based on another value

Let's say you have a list of 10 million customers, and you want to assign some value based on their income. But you have 10,000 potential ranges you want to assign, and they aren't all equal (i.e. not all 1000 dollars apart). What would you do to have a clean, fast, efficient workflow?

PeterYuan
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
1.png

Back to first, have fun!

jegali
5 - Atom

This is my first post to the weekly challenge. Challenge accepted!

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

Back to basics. Enjoyed this one! 

AlexPeacock
8 - Asteroid

My Solution

spencerhong
Alteryx
Alteryx

Have to start somewhere, might as well be at the beginning. First dive into the pool - excited to grow my skills. This is a great way to learn!

Spencer Hong
Sr. Competitive Intelligence Analyst, Product Management
Alteryx
lewanark
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler

lewanark_1-1617465936554.png

CandiceDB
Alteryx
Alteryx

My solution:

Spoiler