Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #1: Join to Range

JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

Hi Denise,

Your approach didn't seem that "fairly new". That was a pretty outside the box approach; I like how you use a Cartesian product by appending the two tables together and filter the data again, creating a cross join basically.

That was very creative @DEO413 

JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

On this solution, I use the same Advanced Join tool previously referenced by @AndrewDataKim The tool makes it really easy to create a custom cross join that reminds me of a cross join I have used in the past with Power Query.

Thanks to @JoeM for guiding me to the advanced join link.

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Advanced-Join/547f8df96ac90f0f2ca5e439

MarcusDoesBI
7 - Meteor

Challenge 1 complete!

sagarb
8 - Asteroid

This was quick.

ADerbak
11 - Bolide

Completed! I used Tile, though...

JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

Hello @ADerbak

I like your approach to solving this problem; by manually setting the maximum limit of the Tile Cutoffs, you are basically getting a unique value for the Tile Num that you can use on the following join with the Tile Num generated by the unique value of the Range.

I thought I was going to be concerned with the sorting order of the first table of the range values, but the unique value tile tool automatically assigns the lowest tile num to the lowest range values; so even if this table wasn't sorted, the unique value tile tool would assign the correct tile num to match.

Thus, very solid approach.

ADerbak
11 - Bolide

Thanks, JORGE4900!

michael_d
8 - Asteroid

Think I've got a lot of catching up to do...

Suzanne
7 - Meteor

Learned a lot.  I knew how to do this in Access but was stumped in Alteryx.  The generate rows tool is really neat.  Thank you.

Amarendra
10 - Fireball

Hey Everyone, 

I am just getting started with the weekly challenges. My experience with Alteryx is limited. Looking to expand it with these challenges. Here is my solution.

Thanks,
Amar