community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Announcement | Get certified today - take the Alteryx Designer Core and Advanced exams on-demand now!

Challenge #1: Join to Range

Asteroid

This is a super creative solution @MarvinPinto. I enjoyed looking at it.

Asteroid

Hi Denise,

Your approach didn't seem that "fairly new". That was a pretty outside the box approach; I like how you use a Cartesian product by appending the two tables together and filter the data again, creating a cross join basically.

That was very creative @DEO413 

Asteroid

On this solution, I use the same Advanced Join tool previously referenced by @AndrewDataKim The tool makes it really easy to create a custom cross join that reminds me of a cross join I have used in the past with Power Query.

Thanks to @JoeM for guiding me to the advanced join link.

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Advanced-Join/547f8df96ac90f0f2ca5e439

Alteryx Partner

Challenge 1 complete!

Asteroid

This was quick.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Completed! I used Tile, though...

Asteroid

Hello @ADerbak

I like your approach to solving this problem; by manually setting the maximum limit of the Tile Cutoffs, you are basically getting a unique value for the Tile Num that you can use on the following join with the Tile Num generated by the unique value of the Range.

I thought I was going to be concerned with the sorting order of the first table of the range values, but the unique value tile tool automatically assigns the lowest tile num to the lowest range values; so even if this table wasn't sorted, the unique value tile tool would assign the correct tile num to match.

Thus, very solid approach.

Asteroid

Thanks, JORGE4900!

Asteroid

Think I've got a lot of catching up to do...

Meteor

Learned a lot.  I knew how to do this in Access but was stumped in Alteryx.  The generate rows tool is really neat.  Thank you.