Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #1: Join to Range

CaraI
Alteryx
Alteryx

Starting on my Challenge Quest!

JDelgado
8 - Asteroid

I'm a newbie and decided to slowly work my way through all the weekly challenges as I have time here at work.

I completed the first one, but IDK if it's the most "elegant" solution... I thought that I had it figured out using the Generate Rows tool to break out all the postal ranges - but that last range tripped me up since it had 20 postal codes but all the others had 19.

I couldn't figure out a way to configure the tool so adjust for this so I ended up using a filter to separate the cross-ref data into two streams, generated the rows as needed, union-ed the two streams before joining to the input data to provide the summary results.

If there is a way to configure the row generation tool to accommodate for situations like this where each group set may need a different number of rows generated?

Thanks!

John Delgado

CaraI
Alteryx
Alteryx

@JDelgado - You are thinking along the right path.  The ideal solution is one where the tool is configured so that it can deal with any size range. 

Hint - Try using your RangeEnd in your conditional expression.  

JDelgado
8 - Asteroid

Thanks!

I tried something along those lines in my initial attempt, but gave up when I couldn't get it to work right... sounds like I gave up too soon. I will revisit it on Monday and see if I can figure it out.

Have a great weekend!

JohnD

ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Here is the solution

hungvvo
5 - Atom

My first challenge.  R Tool for the job.

Spoiler

SPOILERSPOILER

JDelgado
8 - Asteroid

Eureka!

And it was so simple too... not sure what I was thinking on Friday...

Nothing like a good weekend of socializing and adult beverages to clear the mind! LOL

GalynaSkamrova
7 - Meteor

My solution attached

slingshot
6 - Meteoroid

Got the right answer, probably the less effective way.

GowthamRaja
6 - Meteoroid

Have tried this challenge with Append Tool, but performance vice your idea of Generate Row was faster. Anyway a good learning  !!!