community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcement | Some users have experienced issues with Interactive Lesson correctly tracking progress. Please use the Feedback button in the lesson to let us know if you experience this.
Watch videos on a variety of topics that range from beginner to advanced.
Videos
Watch videos on a variety of topics that range from beginner to advanced.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.

Live Training: Parsing with Regular Expressions

Director, Customer Enablement
Director, Customer Enablement

Experience Level: Advanced

Course Description: Sometimes using a text-to-columns or complex string functions can be burdensome, time-consuming, and difficult to disseminate. In this training, we will demonstrate how to build Regular Expressions (RegEx) in Alteryx, and the many ways to unlock its powerful and flexible parsing abilities.

You’ll Learn How to:

• Use the Parse, Match, Replace, and Tokenize functions in the RegEx Tool
  • Write simple regular expressions
  • Leverage the formula tool to evaluate regular expressions

Date: 2018-04-14

Version: 2018.1

Presented by@ChristineB

Thank you for this video, it's very useful.

Could you provide the input data so I can try to recreate this workflow myself ?

Highlighted
Sr. Instructional Designer

@Thomas_simonet I just posted the workflow used for this Live Training to the original post (where you can find the playback, as well).  Hope this helps!

@ChristineB Thank you!

In the meantime, I did my own workflow, adding some detail in the parsing at the end and formatting the date. Don't hesitate to tell me what you think :)

@Thomas_simonet , this is awesome!  I am  loving the RegEx  to parse the journal name/reference/date.  Nice work!  Even more impressive: your patience to type that conditional statement in your Formula tool.  ;-)  Did you know that the DateTime tool allows you to use specifiers to create a custom format for an incoming string?  I mean...it's not RegEx, but it's a nifty alternative method to create your output.  I attached a workflow that demonstrates how I did it! 

Thank you for your answer!

I was sure there was a better way... That's the best I could do haha

Indeed I did not know the Datetime tool yet, it's very useful for what I wanted to do, thanks!

Meteoroid

Thank you very much for this presentation! It has been a while since I had to use regular expressions but I remember how robust they were! It's awesome to see this functionality in Alteryx.