Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Community Ideas

What can we do to make your Alteryx Community experience better? Let us know!

Version Number in Signature or Header

Other online communities I particiate in (mainly for home automation or iOS programming) use a signature tag or header with your current hardware and/or software specs.  It makes getting questions asked and answered much easier when you know what the limitations are or that someone is working with an unusual setup.

For the Alteryx community that would probably be at least putting the user's current version number in their posting signature.

We would have to make sure that the post is preserved with the version number that was in use at the time of posting.

This would probably help users who are on an older version know that they may not be able to use an answer that they find until they upgrade.  And likewise it would help a user know when they are looking at outdated information.

Hardware specs would be nice to know too; although for most of what Alteryx does it is irrelevant (in my experience).

8 Comments
pcatterson
11 - Bolide
I definitely agree! I am stuck using 10.1, while most people are currently using 10.6.
JulieH
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Great suggestion, thanks Patrick! We're looking into the easiest way to implement this in a future release. 

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Robot LOL Awesome! 

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Great idea Patrick. I think this would be excellent for server as well. Especially as they continue to roll out new features.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I think this would be great so that I know what version to backdate my file to when posting a workflow as an answer. 

AnastasiaStepanova
6 - Meteoroid

I've met the issue of lacking version info recently when I found a nice piece of advice on xlsx Render problem and it didn't work for my latest 2018.3 version of Alteryx because this advice is not applicable since 10.x versions :-(

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Love this idea.

WillM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Not Planned

Though we're looking into ways to make it easier for people to include their current version of our software, we're approaching it from a couple of different directions, but this likely won't be the route taken.  Due to frequently updating versions, this could make the upkeep difficult and actually add to confusion within the community.