Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Community Ideas

What can we do to make your Alteryx Community experience better? Let us know!

List unsolved problems as a table

Hi @LeahK

To really power the cleanup - what would be tremendously helpful is data on unsolved problems.

I think that this could take 2 forms:

a) a table format (like @JoeM does for the weekly exercises) - this would be fairly trivial to auto-generate this from the underlying data rather than hand-crafting - and can include links directly to the unsolved item

b) a grouped data structure, where we could see a few things:

- Unsolved items by requestor (that allows us to group and target the biggest populations first)

- some indicator of whether this requestor is still active in logging into the community (no point in chasing someone that hasn't logged in since 2013)

- Links directly to the thread item

- Last post date on the thread (no point in chasing someone to mark this as solved if it just happened 2 days ago)

That would enable us to go through the full population and more effectively work on getting the remaining items marked as solved or closed - and it would also allow us to track our progress as a metric of success day-by-day!

:-) I feel a data-driven-cleanup-project coming on - with as-of snapshots; trend graphs etc.   Very exciting stuff!

9 Comments
MattD
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Man, @SeanAdams, you're unstoppable!

This is a great idea and one we're actually working on now! We're currently finalizing a tool to identify our unsolved discussions - much like the one in your idea post. We're going to incorporate your feedback, and we'll keep you posted on its development!

Thank you for staying on top of it!

MattD

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

No worries Matt - if I can help at all (even if it's just dog-fooding some ideas; or a quick call to talk through ideas one morning your time), I'd be happy to do it.    It actually helps me directly - so it's  in my selfish best interest to help (it's always great when the selfish motivation of the individual aligns with doing the right thing for the greater good - makes change a lot easer to manage :-))

If this would be helpful - just ping me your contact details (Leah has mine) and I'll set up a call one morning your time (late evening mytime)

Cheers @MattD

Sean

MattD
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hey @SeanAdams!

Let's definitely team up for the greater good on this one ;) We're already in fairly late stages of the tool's development and my post from last week should have read "very much like the one in your idea post" - so I don't want to waste too much of your time at the present. If it works for you, how about we sync after v1.0 goes live so as to talk improvements for the tool/opportunities missed?

Can't wait to talk more! I'll send over my contact info via PM.

Thank you again!

MattD

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @MattD

There's been a big push over the last 2 weeks or so to reach out to older threads and see if we can close them out, reporting aged items, moderators getting involved and closing stuff out or marking it as solved.

Out of interest - if I had to think about a measure that I'd ask my team to give me on a similar process in our world, to measure the health of a process like this over time, I'd probably ask for some of the measures listed below.   I suspect that you have similar measures, given the level of professionalism of the Alteryx community team, and I'd be really curious to see how we're doing as a community (i.e. the scorecard for the folks outside Alteryx as community members).

2 questions:

- Do you track these or similar measures?

- are we (as a community) getting better, staying the same, or getting worse, given the big push over the last 2 wks?  i.e. does the data tell us if this is helping or not?

Measures:

The measures I'd probably ask my team for on a similar process are below - not sure if these are applicable to this process, but curious to see your thoughts?

- Gross open query count (day over day).  Useful measure, not perfect

- New query count (good indicator of engagement)

- Mean time to solve, with 1 standard deviation measure.   Given the older items on the forum, I'd expect that this will be a bit rough, so we may need to limit this to 2016 and after?

- Mean age of open items, with 1 standard deviation

- Pareto - are there any users who are related to the top quantity of open items?

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I would like to see it built out similar to or add to  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/forums/unansweredtopicspage/node-id/community:1  . The options should include a search feature and sorting ability. Is this similar to what you were talking about @SeanAdams?

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Exactly right - I think that this would be very useful to help folk get to topic still needing help the most quickly.

:-) it may even fuel some additional competition among the solution hounds 

@MattD @LeahK

@patrick_digan @MarqueeCrew @JohnJPS @Joe_Mako @Bob_Blackey @jdunkerley79

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

In a hopefully related line of thought, I find that when I sign into the Community the content in the "Unanswered Posts" is often content is Alteryx generated, rather than Community generated (e.g. Lunch & Learn announcements, Live training links, etc.).

I feel like these posts belong in a different 'class' -- I would not expect that an announcement of a Lunch & Learn would be answered by anybody. I look in this section to see if there is someone who is looking for help/advice who hasn't received any responses yet.

Maybe these belong in the "Events" sidebar...or another tab altogether.

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Thanks @tom_montpool for posting this. I have noticed especially as the training sessions have increased and around Inspire it is getting a lot harder to sort through what is actually a question vs a general post.

Any greater means of filtering posts would be appreciated, especially with the "Unanswered Posts" area.

WillM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Not Planned

I understand the thought that goes into this idea, but one of the things we've tried to focus on recently is making sure that community members engage altruistically. Chasing likes and solutions has been a bit of a hot topic in the community this year, and I'm worried that implementing something like this could lead to more of that in the future. This may be something to look at in another iteration, but as a full list of unsolved questions, it could be overwhelming and not a great experience for many in the community.