Join us for our first meeting of the Alteryx Student User Group! Review the agenda and register now.

Student Discussions

Join our discussions about learning Alteryx SparkED Designer and data analytics. Learn, share, and connect with our community of learners.

Cal State Fullerton Student Showcase - Send in your workflows!

apmorris
6 - Meteoroid

For students in my 404 class at CalState Fullerton!

We've had a great semester with Alteryx, with 22 of you passing the Alteryx Core Certification and another two or three within one or two points!

A challenge is afoot!  Alteryx loves CSUF's enthusiasm for their platform, and many of you have created some fun workflows.  Some of you are working on your workflows now for the Final Presentations coming up.  So how about a reward for a job well done?

Here's the challenge (but it is limited).  Students can only submit for one category, and only one award per student:

The first 3 students to submit an accounting-related workflow will receive a $100 gift card each!  Here's what you do:

A.  Identify what you were trying to do with your workflow

B.  Take a screenshot of your workflow

C.  Post a comment about how this workflow helped you (did it give you some useful information?  did it help minimize the time you spent finishing your project?)  or - be creative with your comment!

You are all working on projects that involve non-accounting-related workflows for the final project.  So,

The first 10 students to submit a non-accounting-related workflow will receive a $100 gift card each!  Here's what you do:

A.  Identify what you were trying to do with your workflow

B.  Take a screenshot of your workflow

C.  Post a comment about how this workflow helped you (did it give you some useful information?  did it help minimize the time you spent finishing your project?)  or - be creative with your comment!

Or, if you have used Alteryx before, create and post a challenge that can be used by other students!

Let's see if we can tap into the total of $1,300 right away!  I'll be notified when you post to this thread!

17 REPLIES 17
TravisHa1
5 - Atom

I used Alteryx to organize and clean up the data from the BerkshireHathaway 13-F. First I organized the data into quarters, then by years. Once all my data was organized, and clean, I was able to see the changed in investment holding over the quarters by BerkshireHathaway. Alteryx made it very easy for me to organize and sort my data. Once I was able to do that I was able to interperutate the data from the BerkshireHathaway 13-F. All of this helped tell a story, I went from having a huge excel sheet, to organize data that told me the change in investment.   

mattpelayo
5 - Atom

Matthew Pelayo

Acc 404

For this assignment, I took the Berkshire Hathaway Data from the past 3 years and divided it into quarterly SEC filings. The goal was to clean the data of any unnecessary space and organize it into an optimal and comprehensive fashion. Alteryx is much like python in that it can manipulate imported data files and transform it into a workflow. Some trends I was able to identify came from the development of COVID-19 and the lingering effects it still has on the most recent filings. Around Quarter-6 of the Berkshire Hathaway investments, we see the price per share begin to drop drastically. The price per share is a quality indicator of the current climate of the state of a company. In this case it would be an anomaly if just one company had a drop in share price; however, a cumulation of all shares owned by Berkshire Hathaway dropped. From Q-6 to Q-10, we see a gradual decrease in the price of shares valuation. This trend continued up until Q-1, where we begin to see share values drop. We see the amount of shares owned by Berkshire Hathaway increase around Q-1- to Q-11 begin to increase as the outlook of the American economy began to grow, thus a quality investment.

For those who are beginning their journey into Alteryx, I would encourage them to understand the goal they are trying to reach before aimlessly manipulating data. Making use of the “summarize” tool will make data easy, interpretable, and fun to use. I had some difficulty with the variables I was trying to manipulate; however, this issue was resolved once I visualized the goals for my data. Another useful tip will be to create a workflow that is useable across similar data formats and copy it to interpret the data. This technique will not only ensure accuracy, but also save a large amount of time in an already tedious process. This application is very valuable ancan be very useful the more one begins to interact with its capabilities

mokawner
7 - Meteor

Matthew O'Connor

Acct 404 - Thu

With this workflow, I wanted to investigate predictive statistics relating to NFL wide receivers and running backs to help my future fantasy football endeavors. I was able to extract CSV files for the years 2015-2019 from "fantasyfootballdatapros.com" to complete the analysis. I cleaned the columns a bit and combined the files, then I sorted them by top 10 players per year based on position and fantasy points.

Screenshot (35).png

This workflow helped me identify different indicators of player performance, such as age, games, played, yds/rec, and even which team they played for. I was able to identify players that have a history of success and compare characteristics of their physique and talent to younger athletes who have the potential to become break-out players or even superstars in the league. 

NancyVillatoro
5 - Atom

To start off this workflow, I used the 13 excel sheets that contained information about the investing activities of Berkshire Hathaway and filtered the data to prepare it for analysis and I did so by organizing the information into quarters by year. After having created various tables for analysis, I was able to understand the reason why Berkshire Hathaway changed their holdings. This quick analysis was easy to do because of how helpful the workflow is in organizing, structuring, and preparing the data for an efficient and quick analysis.

I used visuals like bar charts and tables to truly understand the changes. Alteryx simplified and streamlined the process of analyzing sets of data easily without having to take large chunks of time organizing the data to the point that it was easily understandable. 

rively90
8 - Asteroid

Name: Javier Sutanto/ TH class

Data set used: Accounting Taxation

Since the Berkshire was already selected, I use the dataset below: 

The data was generated from my tax class, which originally came from SEC's website.

Aim: My goal is to find which companies and years that have positive and negative unexpected ETR (Effective Tax Rate). It's important to know because we can see some skewness as well as evaluate the tax planning strategy. We definitely don't want to pay a lot of tax bills, so identifying the problem would be the crucial first step.

Tax challange.png

End Product for positive unexpected tax rate %,which sorted by descending order (partial list):

end product.png

Alteryx helped me to remove some unnecessary columns and blank rows. Since I used 2 different data sets (main tax data and regression). I had to combine them by using the Append Field, which is used for the calculation (next step) Also, I utilized the formula tool to find the "Predicted ETR" and "Unexpected ETR". The filter tool allowed me to identify which companies that have negative and positive unexpected ETR. Alteryx really helped me to save much time. It would be time-consuming if I had to do it in Excel. I'm grateful for the tools that Alteryx provided.

EricR

Very cool workflow @wwt250991! I'd love to see the .yxzp to take a closer look!

EricR

Really fun idea @mokawner! If you haven't done so, I would explore the predictive tools to see what other insights you can gain with those! 

jaygarcia
Alteryx
Alteryx

Wow, what a fantastic opportunity! 

Best,

Jay Garcia
Sr. Education Program Manager – US West & LATAM | SparkED
Head of SparkED for Military & Veterans Program
California, USA | M: +1 916.212.5017 | jay.garcia@alteryx.com