Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

input multi excel folder with different name on tabs

Prab
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I'm facing a problem in pulling tabs with similar names from multiple excel files with different names and different folders. I also tried to create a dynamic input with drop down and action apps but am not able to link them up to choose the different locations. 

Is it necessary to have one folder containing all the excels. 

I've tried looking for a solution in the community but am not able to find one. I am relatively new to using alteryx and would appreciate any guidance. 

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Prab

I think initially it would be useful to use @CameronS excel macro input which will allow you to read in all excel files and tabs from a certain folder.

You can replicate this process for each folder you have to simplify the process.

Once you have written all the data in from the various different folders you can use a union tool to bring the different data streams together.

This one tool will give you a good segway to understanding more about the batch macro process which is used within Alteryx to read a list of values (file paths in this case) at once.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

Prab
7 - Meteor

Thanks Jordan. 

Cameron's solution is limited to one folder and multiple excel files and tabs. 

The problem I have is a slight variation of the same. 

The problem is that I just have one excel file per folder and need to read just one tab (maybe more in the future) from each. But these single excel files lie in 40+ different folders. Is there an alteryx solution to have just one app with a drop down selection of what folders and files to run ? 

Thanks again.

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Prab

Attached is an example of a reading from the top level folder which contains the 40 different folders. This method uses the wildcard function in the file path to search a directory.

Assumptions

- 40 folders under one parent folder

- Is only able to read the one tab with the same name

Please provide more detail around your file structure if this isn't quite what you are looking for!

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

Prab
7 - Meteor

Thanks Jordan. The structure seems precise. I am having trouble opening this though. I am running version 9.5. Do I need an upgrade to run this ? 

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Prab

If you can upgrade to 11 that would be recommended. If not I can look to edit the file.

Let me know.

Best,

Jordan

Labels