Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Validating MongoDB Backup

mrnice
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

I've been wondering what is the best way to validate a backup?

My main concern is having a backup which ran successfully but for any reason become corrupted. Having a SQL Server background I would probably test restoring the backup to a Dev environment.

Really keen to hear some suggestions

1 REPLY 1
KevinP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@mrnice The only way to really validate a Mongo backup would be to restore it to a Mongo instance used for testing then compare it with the live database. With the exception of any changes to the live database between the time the backup completed and the validation the databases should be identical. You could probably even build an Alteryx workflow to pull the data from the live and validation databases to do the comparison and report any differences. If you are following the recommended best practices for backups though this should be a very minimal concern. Assuming of course that you are taking regular backups and keeping historic ones for a period of time. If you haven't reviewed it already I would suggest starting with our Knowledge Articles here on the Community that cover best practices and procedures for backups.

Alteryx Server Backup & Recovery Part 1: Best Practices

Alteryx Server Backup & Recovery Part 2: Procedures