Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Numeric up down with Select Record

z-one
6 - Meteoroid

I am extremely new so I appologize if this is an easy question.  I want to have the user select which row the Headers begin in.

I put the number up/down tool in and it created the lightning bolt, but when I run the app and pick a number it doesn't change the value.

On the Select Record tool do I need to put a formula to tell it to grab the user input?

8 REPLIES 8
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @z-one - welcome to the community and congratulations on your first post!

This one requires you to use a few tools - I've provided notes; screenshot; and mocked up flow below:

- Take the input into the macro

- Use a formula to convert the up/down box into a field that you can use

- Filter out the rows that you don't need using a record ID and a filter

- Then take out the working fields (the header row ID; and the record ID) using a dynamic select.    It's useful to use a dynamic select because that means that you don't need to know every field that this will be used for

- Then use a dynamic rename to rename the fields

Hope this helps - if it does, woudl you mind marking as solved - or if not, then let's iterate together to get you to a solution.

Happy weekend

Sean

2017-05-27_15-38-36.png

z-one
6 - Meteoroid

@SeanAdams wrote:

Hey @z-one - welcome to the community and congratulations on your first post!

This one requires you to use a few tools - I've provided notes; screenshot; and mocked up flow below:

- Take the input into the macro

- Use a formula to convert the up/down box into a field that you can use

- Filter out the rows that you don't need using a record ID and a filter

- Then take out the working fields (the header row ID; and the record ID) using a dynamic select.    It's useful to use a dynamic select because that means that you don't need to know every field that this will be used for

- Then use a dynamic rename to rename the fields

Hope this helps - if it does, woudl you mind marking as solved - or if not, then let's iterate together to get you to a solution.

Happy weekend

Sean

2017-05-27_15-38-36.png

Thank you for putting that together.  So does the input tool not work with a record select tool or sample tool on its own?  I thought that was the point of those tools (my thought is based on one week of playing around!).

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @z-one,

the issue is more of how the tools work:

- Select is used to pick which columns you want, not which rows (so it would not have worked in this case)

- Sample has an option for first X or last X rows, but it doesn't have an option to "start from row 3 onwards" - which is the reason why i used a row-ID and a filter.

Now you could use the up-down, integrated into a filter - I just find this a little more fiddly (my personal preference) because you are replacing a formula and it's not as easy to test this.

Hopefully that helps?

Cheers

Sean

z-one
6 - Meteoroid

@SeanAdams wrote:

Hey @z-one,

the issue is more of how the tools work:

- Select is used to pick which columns you want, not which rows (so it would not have worked in this case)

- Sample has an option for first X or last X rows, but it doesn't have an option to "start from row 3 onwards" - which is the reason why i used a row-ID and a filter.

Now you could use the up-down, integrated into a filter - I just find this a little more fiddly (my personal preference) because you are replacing a formula and it's not as easy to test this.

Hopefully that helps?

Cheers

Sean

Sean,

Thanks originally I was just trying to pull out one row so was going to use the Select Record field to just have the user select the one row I wanted.  If I am understanding correctly you can't use the input tools to put just a single number in the select record box?  So lets say I wanted row 3 to be pulled out I would normally just type row 3 in the select record box, was hoping the user can put something in an input screen and that would just fill in the select record box.

Your workaround definitely works!  Just trying to understand if the input tool can work like I thought it would or if it isn't that simple!

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @z-one,

Sorry - I munderstood your brief - you absolutely can use the "Select Records" tool to just pull 1 row.    

I've updated the macro and the test macro to show this - it's very easy to connect an input up/down selector to a select record tool (apologies - when you said select in your first reply, i wrongly assumed that you meant the Select tool as opposed to the Select Records tool)

You're right - if you're not looking to use the headers to attach to the data, but only looking for one row - this becomes much much simpler

Let me know if this gets you where you need to be?

cheers

Sean

z-one
6 - Meteoroid

@SeanAdams wrote:

Hey @z-one,

Sorry - I munderstood your brief - you absolutely can use the "Select Records" tool to just pull 1 row.    

I've updated the macro and the test macro to show this - it's very easy to connect an input up/down selector to a select record tool (apologies - when you said select in your first reply, i wrongly assumed that you meant the Select tool as opposed to the Select Records tool)

You're right - if you're not looking to use the headers to attach to the data, but only looking for one row - this becomes much much simpler

Let me know if this gets you where you need to be?

cheers

Sean

Sean thanks for the reply I appologize I am just learning the right terms to use!

I get this message when trying to import.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @z-one,

Sorry for the confusion - uploaded the files again - this time I've uploaded the package; and the individual macro too so that you can either use the package version or the underlying pieces.

The macro itself is very very simple - have a try, and if you have any issues I can post screenshots instead.

Hope this gets you to a solution

Sean

z-one
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you

Labels