Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Run Command Forcing User Interaction To Finish Workflow

brianscott
11 - Bolide

Hey everyone - 

So I'm working on figuring the Run command.  Essentially my target is a workflow I need to host on Gallery that needs to give the user some metadata in specific situations; i.e., 'The value you entered is tied to a protected account', or whatever.  Anyways, I have a solution wherein I can invoke a call to launch chrome, push up a new browser that warns the user, and gives them a link to nuke the window.  That part works great.  

BUT.  Once I got the Run tool to stop erroring out about inputs and outputs, the workflow sill not stop running *until* the user kills the browser window.  It'll just sit there waiting for something.  I'm unclear if somehow the .bat file it waiting for a response to send back to the tool, or I don't know. 

Anyone have any ideas?  It seems like I'm so close!

brian

2 REPLIES 2
MikeSp
Alteryx
Alteryx

@brianscott,

I might suggest looking into the "start" command for your batch file as that should not hang the batch file, instead of running the executable directly. For many programs, when executing the program directly, a batch file will wait until the process has terminated in order to continue.

Basic syntax would be:

start Z:\path\to\myexecutable.exe

If you need to specify a path with spaces or quotes due to length, you may need to specify an extra value (bit of a quirk with the "start" command variables, it sees the first quotes as a window title.)

start "Title" "Z:\path\to\executable.exe"

Hope that gives you a starting point!

Mike Spoula
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx
brianscott
11 - Bolide

Hi Mike - 

Works great on desktop, cannot get it to go on Gallery, which was my eventual landing spot.  :(  Came up with a slightly hackier solution and will have to live with it.  Thanks for your help.

brian

Labels