Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Installing CREW Macros on shared drive but problem with CRew.ini

GwenH
5 - Atom

My colleagues are unable to run a workflow on a shared drive that uses the CREW macros.

I have installed the CREW macros onto the shared drive; however, the CReW.ini file that was installed was created on my local C drive, although it references the macros in the correct location on the shared drive.

Do all my colleagues have to install the CREW macros, so that they have their own ini file or how can we use a shared ini file on the shared drive?

Below is the log from running the Install app from the shared drive. As you can see, the CReW.ini is on my local machine:  

ini.JPG

When I open the CReW.ini, it correctly points to the macros on the shared drive.

ini_values.JPG

Additionally, all the workflow dependencies correctly point to the macros on the shared drive and have the full UNC reference.

We want to be able to save all the workflow components (including the CREW macros) on to the shared drive and then want anyone in the team to have the ability to run or further develop the workflow. We do not want to publish the workflow.

3 REPLIES 3
scottj
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Could you try and have your team point their default macro location, in the user settings, to the shared drive?

On the Macros tab, you can create a repository of macros and set a default location to save macros. Alteryx displays the macros in the Tool Palette for you to use in building workflow.

Each macro must have a unique name.

To add a path to the repository:

1. Click .
  2. In Category Name, type a name. The default name is Macros.
  3. Click  to browse to the location where you save macros on your computer or a network.

Any macro .yxmc file in the selected location will display in the tool category on the Tool Palette.

Sub-folders in a search path cannot be added individually if their parent folder already exits in the Macros repository.

To set a default repository location:

1. Click the repository search path in the list.
  2. Click Set as Default. An asterisk (*) displays next to the default repository.
Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @GwenH

I believe what your users need to do is specify where additional macros can be located. See screenshots below... Only thing that matters is that the user has access to the network share; specifying a mapped drive or UNC does not matter (although using UNC is a good practice to promote).

image.png

image.png 

Hope this helps!

Jimmy

GwenH
5 - Atom

Thanks Jimmy,

Specifying the additional macro location works perfectly.

Labels