Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Blending

Yogesh
7 - Meteor

How to convert an Arabic Unicode filed to English in Alteryx. Does Alteryx support langauge translation

9 REPLIES 9
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @Yogesh,

I don't know of a translator tool. Just an idea though: you could try using an online translator, e.g. something like https://translate.google.com/?vi=c#auto/ar/this%20is%20a%20test%20of%20this%20stuff, you would need to build the URL, perhaps sentence by sentence, then collect the URL responses and combine them back together. Could be tedious and slow for a large file. 

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Are you looking to actually translate the Arabic into English, or are you just wanting to bring in the data into Alteryx in Arabic format?

As @JohnJPS mentioned, there is no language translation capabilities in Alteryx, but if it is the latter case, then you could try to convert the text using the ConvertFromCodePage([_CurrentField_], nnn) function and use one of the code pages found at Windows code pages.

Yogesh
7 - Meteor

Thanks for your help. 

I was looking if you guys have also embeded translate function in Alteryx as you guys do miracle. 

DanC

Hi Yogesh,

Unfortunately, we do not have an imbedded language translator. However, it is possible to connect to the Google Translate API through Alteryx. Of course, Google does charge for this product. If you are interested in how to connect to their API using Alteryx, let me know and I'll be happy to send you a sample workflow that I put together. I used a free trial account that I signed up for. You could do the same to test and see if it is something you're interested in pursuing further.

Thank you,

Dan

Dan Chapman
Program Manager, Customer Support
New to the community? Get started here.
Yogesh
7 - Meteor
This will be a great help if you can give the sample workflow

Best Regards

Yogesh Agarwal
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

A simple example is attached.

It is Powered by Yandex.Translate
http://translate.yandex.com/

If you go to https://tech.yandex.com/translate/ and follow the step to get the API key (will need a mobile number to receive text message).

Then in the attached workflow replace the value "API-Key" with your API key. You may also want to change the lang value to "ar-en" for Arabic to English, and put your Arabic text to translate in the text field. There are lot of other options too, be sure to check out the documentation at https://tech.yandex.com/translate/doc/dg/concepts/About-docpage/

The key to this is the configuration of the Download tool. Here is what I did:
- In the Basic tab, set the URL field, and unchecked "Encode URL Text"
- In the Payload tab, set HTTP Action as "POST", and checked the boxes for the fields to include values from (lang,key,text)

When asking it to translate the text "Hello" from English to Spanish "en-es", the result is:

{"code":200,"lang":"en-es","text":["Hola"]}

If you prefer XML you can use a different URL.

DanC

Sure thing, Yogesh. Attached is a sample workflow. This workflow does two things, which might not be necessary for you. It first detects the language, and then translates anything that is not English. You can skip the first step and either use auto detect or hard code the source language in the second section. You will need to get your own key from Google in order to use the workflow. i was able to sign up for a 30 day trial key.

Hope this helps!

Dan Chapman
Program Manager, Customer Support
New to the community? Get started here.
Gautham
5 - Atom

Dear All, please let me now how to combine Arabic language to english in alteryx as i have almost 2 gb of data in different excel sheets.

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi, I have the same issue in that I'm getting text in multiple languages that I need to translate on-the-fly. Licensing shouldn't be a problem as we use a range of Google services commercially. @DanC, would you be able to share your workflow with me, please?

Thanks in advance, Julian

Labels