Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Canvas & Container Issue

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Several users have reported to me an issue where the canvas become enormous within containers.  This is happening in version 11.3.  The XML behind the scene looks like the decimal points for X & Y positions have lost their decimal points.  What was 486.0001 and 281.9998 has become 4860001 and 2819998.  They are using in-db tools plus publish to tableau server.

Capture.PNG

Any thoughts?  is this a known bug that is resolved in 11.5?

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

The issue may be one around localization.  It seems like the users have non-us designers saving to a server with a US localization.  If they use the container and save to gallery, when it comes back the yxmd file loses the decimals in the location of the x,y coordinates of the canvas in the XML.  I've shown this to Alteryx.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Alteryx has worked with mark to reproduce issue. 

The issue is a result of having a ',' (comma)  specified for a decimal separator in windows number settings.  Using a decimal place '.' does not produce the issue.

The issue occurs when a workflow is saved directly to a gallery and opened from a gallery using file>open (select private gallery), then selecting the workflow.

We will provide a further update soon.  If you are experiencing this issue please email support@alteryx.com

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
JulieM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @MarqueeCrew - thanks for bringing this to our attention!  Our development team has been looped into this issue and we are working now on understanding what will be involved in developing a fix.  Once I have more information on what the fix entails, and when we might be able to push this out, I will update this post.  Please feel free to let me know if there are any additional questions in the meantime.  Thanks!

Julie Mendelson
Product Owner
Alteryx
PeterPetersen
8 - Asteroid
Hi,

Was there a solution to this, other than changing the decimal seperator for your entire system to .? In Denmark we use comma for decimal seperator and . for thousand seperator. Changing the setting would mess stuff up for other applications on the computer, such as Excel etc.
PeterPetersen
8 - Asteroid

Hi @JulieM

Did you find a solution or workaround? I've been trying to get Alteryx to stop using decimals in the position by changing the snap to grid and grid size settings, but whenever I move a container it usually introduces a comma like

<Position x="328" y="41" width="744" height="386" />

Becomes

<Position x="328" y="41.00002" width="744" height="386" />

Which will then result in this when the flow is saved on the server and opened again in Alteryx Designer:

<Position x="328" y="4100002" width="744" height="386" />

Is there any way to avoid the decimal in the x/y and width/height position, as a workaround?

Labels