Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

#SANTALYTICS 2016

Help an elf get Santa around the globe!

#SANTALYTICS Part 1

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

#SANTALYTICS Part 1:

With an impossible task looming, poor old Santa is clueless at best. There are 15,000 kids in this route (Recipient Database.xlsx, Address Database.xlsx) and he'll have to somehow stitch together all the data he's gotten from his elves - a dozen log files of what the kids have been up to this year (* Action Log.xlsx). Summarizing these and finding a rating for each kid should help! You can do so by subtracting just how naughty they were from how nice they were throughout the year.

Santa has been doing this for centuries and has used trial and error to build out his naughty and nice ratings for grouping the kids (Naughty or Nice Ratings.xlsx). Using an approximate even distribution while assigning to each of the 25 groups, can you use Alteryx to determine which kids fall into each category this year?

We only have so many days until the Holidays and presents also need to be assigned too! We already know the naughty kids will get coal, but what about the other 20 groupings of kids? The elves do good work, but presents aren't free - we should probably use the price of each gift to make sure the best kids are getting the best classes of gifts! You can use the price of the gifts to also sort these into 20 evenly distributed groups. Let's hold off until Santa knows his exact routes to pick the gifts specifically - the Reindeer can only hold so much!

Goal of Part 1:
We want a list of recipients ranked with

1. their Naughty or Nice rating and Score
  2. the class of present they are entitled to.

We will award badges and recognize community members that submitted solutions in our November 30 blog post on Engine works: #SANTALYTICS Part 1: Solution and Behind the Data

santalytics_banner.png

Tara McCoy
30 REPLIES 30
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

My Naughty and Nice List :)

Best,

Jordan 

lminors
9 - Comet

That was good fun! Look forward to next week. Solution attached.

Spoiler
Solution.PNG

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Treyson - I love that you had your team involved! Be sure to send me their usernames so they can be awarded badges. Ho ho ho Smiley LOL

Tara McCoy
JonA
Alteryx
Alteryx

@TaraM - bonus stars to the clever Action field in the Action Log files. My personal favorite: "Prounouced it jif instead of gif"

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

credit goes to @MattD on the data Smiley Tongue

Tara McCoy
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Ho Ho HO!  If I got a present from the big guy, I think that George Stanley might deserve another chance.  Remember, "There's room for everyone on Santa's Nice list."

Santa 2015 Pic.jpgMark Sana.jpg

2015 Santa Pic (Yes, that's me in both pictures).   

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

Here's mine...workflow and results.

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Belated attempt ...

Spoiler
2016-11-28_21-50-50.jpg 
AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

badges.jpg

Don't mind me, just collecting badges.. 

Alex Koszycki
Program Manager, Community Platform
JonA
Alteryx
Alteryx

I expect better from you @EvelynSpencer....the 5th naughtiest child, how could you?

Labels