Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

#SANTALYTICS 2016

Help an elf get Santa around the globe!

#SANTALYTICS Part 1

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

#SANTALYTICS Part 1:

With an impossible task looming, poor old Santa is clueless at best. There are 15,000 kids in this route (Recipient Database.xlsx, Address Database.xlsx) and he'll have to somehow stitch together all the data he's gotten from his elves - a dozen log files of what the kids have been up to this year (* Action Log.xlsx). Summarizing these and finding a rating for each kid should help! You can do so by subtracting just how naughty they were from how nice they were throughout the year.

Santa has been doing this for centuries and has used trial and error to build out his naughty and nice ratings for grouping the kids (Naughty or Nice Ratings.xlsx). Using an approximate even distribution while assigning to each of the 25 groups, can you use Alteryx to determine which kids fall into each category this year?

We only have so many days until the Holidays and presents also need to be assigned too! We already know the naughty kids will get coal, but what about the other 20 groupings of kids? The elves do good work, but presents aren't free - we should probably use the price of each gift to make sure the best kids are getting the best classes of gifts! You can use the price of the gifts to also sort these into 20 evenly distributed groups. Let's hold off until Santa knows his exact routes to pick the gifts specifically - the Reindeer can only hold so much!

Goal of Part 1:
We want a list of recipients ranked with

1. their Naughty or Nice rating and Score
  2. the class of present they are entitled to.

We will award badges and recognize community members that submitted solutions in our November 30 blog post on Engine works: #SANTALYTICS Part 1: Solution and Behind the Data

santalytics_banner.png

Tara McCoy
30 REPLIES 30
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Ho! Ho! Ho!  Fun challaenge! My resulsts attached. Smiley Very Happy

pcatterson
11 - Bolide

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Here's what I came up with!

zperkins
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here's my go at it!

nsmith04
5 - Atom

Here's my attempt.

Spoiler
SantalyticsPart1.PNG

MichelKars
6 - Meteoroid

Attached my Naughty and Nice list.

cor
5 - Atom

Attached my overview of the nice/naughty scoring and the present class

CailinS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Smiley Embarassed

Cailin Swingle
Customer Experience
Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

We did this as a learning exercise for some of the new people on our team and they loved it. Excited about module 2!

Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
Labels