Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Users unable to run app -- file does not exist

KenMoorhead
7 - Meteor

My users are having trouble running an app in our self-hosted gallery. It is a chained app, in case that matters. Looking for any thoughts on how to resolve the error... It seems like it could be related to permissions somehow, but otherwise unclear.

Users are able to log on to the gallery and get to the correct collection/app. When they try to run it, they're presented with an error popup stating

Problem Loading App
The file "D:\Alteryx Server\Service\Staging\XProcessCache\D5BBB8B6A2ADE2C3\State Data Staging.yxwz" does not exist.

Logging in as gallery admin, I do not receive this error and can run the app fine. I have tried adding individual users to the collection and still receive the error. Same result for adding individual users to the gallery with Viewer permissions.

When publishing to the gallery, there were no issues with validation. Normal success response.

Tech notes:

• Running self-hosted gallery, version 11.
  • Default install settings using Active Directory / Windows authentication.
  • Gallery/server run using service account
  • Users are receiving permission to gallery through security group that has Viewer permissions
  • Users are receiving permission to collection through same security group
5 REPLIES 5
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

In the Gallery, network drive references don't work, so all paths have to be UNC.  You can do that for all tools in one fell swoop under Advanced Settings, Workflow Dependencies.  If that doesn't work, then they might not have permissions to access that directory?

Although it's strange that you can run it in the Gallery without the UNC path.  I never have been able to.

KenMoorhead
7 - Meteor

@mbarone wrote:

In the Gallery, network drive references don't work, so all paths have to be UNC.  You can do that for all tools in one fell swoop under Advanced Settings, Workflow Dependencies.  If that doesn't work, then they might not have permissions to access that directory?

Although it's strange that you can run it in the Gallery without the UNC path.  I never have been able to.

Thanks, but I don't think that's the issue. The only file references in the app are relative paths to files created/used by the app itself. This error message reads like the gallery can't find the app being run and load it.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Interesting.  The fact that the error is referencing a file that starts with "D:" and not "\\" tells me that whatever it's referencing is not UNC, and non-UNCs don't work in the Gallery.

Without seeing the "guts" of the app, it's hard to say.

Oh wait - relative paths, not network.  Ignore my comment then.

As long as they have access to the server, it should work I'd think.

KenMoorhead
7 - Meteor

@mbarone wrote:

Interesting.  The fact that the error is referencing a file that starts with "D:" and not "\\" tells me that whatever it's referencing is not UNC, and non-UNCs don't work in the Gallery.

Without seeing the "guts" of the app, it's hard to say.

The app works fine when run by the Gallery admin. This seems to have more to do with user permissions w/in the gallery than the app itself.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Yep - I just realized that you said relative path, not network.

If it's an option for you and your governance, have you tried setting up credentials for that app, and having those credentials be your own?  That's what I have to do for apps that grab data from our Server.