Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Publish a workflow with "Publish to Tableau server Macro" to Alteryx server is failing

pgeorge4
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have a workflow which has the macro to publish the final results to tableau server as a .tde file. In the alteryx designer it is working fine and creating the data source in Tableau server.

But when I try to publish(save) the same workflow to alteryx server gallery it is failing saying "Cannot find macro publish to Tableau server.yxmc" . But i have already published that macro to gallery. Is there anything that I am missing here?

Regards,

philip

8 REPLIES 8
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @pgeorge4

Can you make sure the macro resides on the Alteryx Designer that sits on the server.

Best,

Jordan barker

Solutions Consultant

pgeorge4
7 - Meteor

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean the macro should be published separately on the alteryx server? Or do you mean it should be present in the Alteryx designer which sits on the Alteryx server machine?

But I am not sure the machine where alteryx server is installed is having the Alteryx designer as well.Is it mandatory to have designer also in the same machine to enable this functionality?

Regards,

philip

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@pgeorge4

It should be present on the Alteryx designer which sits on the Alteryx server machine?

When you install Alteryx Server you automatically get a designer which sits on the same server. 

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

pgeorge4
7 - Meteor

Hi Jordan,

Thanks again.

I used the new macro having append functionality in the workflow.It is running without issues in my designer locally and I am able to publish to alteryx server with validation. But when I run it manually in the server it is failing.Please see the attached item for the screenshot.Will this issue resolve if I add the macro tool in the designer available in the alteryx designer.As per the error in the screen shot the project name is not correct. But I have given the correct name and in my designer it is working properly.

I am yet to add the macro tool in the designer available in the alteryx server because I need to contact another team for this.Also could you please tell me how will I add the macro as a tool in the designer..I know how to add to the workflow by doing right click and insert.

Regards,

philip

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @pgeorge4

Yes please add the tool into the designer on the server and let me know if the error stays.

As this macro isn't built by Alteryx I will do my best to troubleshoot! 

On the server open the designer and add the macro as you would on your local version of the designer. 

Please keep me updated once you have them on the server.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

pgeorge4
7 - Meteor

Hi Jordan,

I have added the macro in the designer in Alteryx server machine. But I still get the error while running the macro.

My Tableau server is version 10.In the macro app it was written that "Publish to Tableau Server with append (requires Tableau server 9.3)". Does this mean that the macro may not be compatible with the Tableau version 10?.

Regards,

Philip

rpaugh
11 - Bolide

@pgeorge4, now that you've added the macro to your server machine, did you go back to your local Alteryx designer and update the macro to point to the new location?  It may still be looking for your local copy even though it resides on the server.

Alteryx Macro Paths.png

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @pgeorge4

I would suggest looking for location of the macro on your machine and make sure that exists in the same location on the server. As I am not familiar with the append macro I am not 100% sure where it gets installed. 

The regular publish to tableau server macro can be found: C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\DataProducts\DataSets\Content\TableauTools (Alteryx Admin)

Best,

Jordan