Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to include a timestamp in the output filename?

stefanem
7 - Meteor

Hello,

Does someone know how to put a datetime in the output filename please?

To not have the same output filename, i need to include the date

for example output_20170602.pdf

thank you for your advice

Stephane

6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@stefanem,

You can do it by:

Create a variable (Run Date) using:

DateTimeStart()

Then using that as part of the output configuration:

Capture.png

Here's a workflow pic:

Capture.png

And your output looks like:

Capture.png

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
stefanem
7 - Meteor

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for this advice, that works perfectly with the formula. However i didn't say that the output was generated by the render. the file is a pdf and send it by email then.

So 2 problem:

- there are no option in render to change the filename

- how to get the last filename in attachment of my email?

Thank you for your support

STephane

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @stefanem

You can change the filename in the render - screenshot below - what you have to do is to use the "Group data into separate reports" option.   the attached workflow does actually create files with date stamps.

If you want to generate these rendered files and attach them to e-mail - then use a Block until Done to split this generation of the render file and once generated you can then attach to an e-mail (but you will need to recreate the filename in a formula)

Hopefully this gets you where you need to be

Sean

2017-06-04_17-29-08.png

stefanem
7 - Meteor

Hi,

Thank you for your replies, that works fine.

Stephane

Eliot_with_cat
7 - Meteor

Hi Mark,

Datetimestart() is a great function. Thanks for introducing this to us.

I have a question on this function.

I am now trying to add timestamp to the output file name. The case is I need to output several excel like 15 in one workflow, I expect there is time gap delay between the 1st excel output generation and the last output generation. I would like to check if the timestamp is the workflow start time or the time when the output process is triggered.

If it is the workflow start time, then there is no issue because the timestamp will always be the same in all output file name.

However, if the timestamp is whenever the output icon is being triggered, then I may have several excel names with different timestamp. This is what I don't want.

Thanks,

Eliot 

EnderDavila
5 - Atom

Hi, I tried doing this with a .xlsx file and the output doesn't take the time stamp. I tried with .csv and it works.
I want to know if my alteryx is not working properly  or it just works with csv files?

Labels