Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filtering out multiple "string" from [field]

Evie
6 - Meteoroid

Hi 

I'm trying to filter out multiple string values from a field and tried this but it's not working:-

Contains("Total",[Country]) or
Contains("Total EU3",[Country]) or
Contains("Total(EU + EFTA)",[Country]) or
Contains("Total(EU15 + EFTA)",[Country])

I would need to strip out all the text and not sure if there is a AND OR function?

....also note that if I try this below then I get "malformed Function Call" :-

Contains(,[Country],"Total") or
Contains([Country],"Total EU3") or
Contains([Country],"Total(EU + EFTA)") or
Contains([Country],"Total(EU15 + EFTA)")

Please help?

Many thanks 

Evie

8 REPLIES 8
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Evie

Contains([Country],"Total")

That should find any of the matches that are in your request.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You have an extra comma in the second example:

Contains([Country],"Total") or
Contains([Country],"Total EU3") or
Contains([Country],"Total(EU + EFTA)") or
Contains([Country],"Total(EU15 + EFTA)")

If you are removing all Totals then I would use StartsWith:

StartsWith([Country], 'Total')

Evie
6 - Meteoroid

Thank Mark,

I did try that initially within the "Basic Filter", but for some years it would not populate, hence my thinking was that I needed a muti-string formula.  I've now amended the file with your command within the "function" section, and its working for all years except 2006 - even after I have created a new excel output file.  Hence, my thinking is that its not a function issue, but perhaps a bug in the way it processes the data. 

I've attached the files, can you please take a look.  I'm really curious to why its happening?

( just a note I could not do a dynamic batch sheet import due to the data having different headers and needing to be transposed for each year)

Many thanks 

Evie

AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Is 2006 just connected to the wrong filter output?

Adam Riley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriley/
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Think Adam is right

Attached a trick to show how could simplify using sheet names and filters to make it one path through.

2017-03-30_15-34-41.jpg

Evie
6 - Meteoroid

This is really helpful, thank you very much :))  I like the first two filters in selecting which specific sheets need cleansing.  

But...

I'm replicating this to make sure I fully understand, and I'm stuck on the the 3rd filter ( after the union ) I can't figure out where you got "[F1]", I assume it's field 1.  And if I put this in I get "Unkown variable F1".  It probably comes from the Union, but I can't see anything here:-snippit_union.JPG

snippit _F1.JPG

Thanks again :)

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
I specified that the first row of the spreadsheet contains data in the dynamic inputs then the columns come through as F1 to F14/15/16

The first filter picking country is to select the headers of each sheet and join back to the data.

Hope that helps make sense.

Get Outlook for iOS
Evie
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for your help, yes I got it working :)

Evie

Labels